Diagnosis
11/2012
Country
US
State
MI
City
Plymouth
My husband had been stable with hospice care at home but I noticed changes in him the weekend of Sept. 7th. By Sunday night I realized that he was probably dying and the hospice nurse came out Monday. She said yes he was worse than he had been but did not think it was his time yet. By Tuesday morning my husband was unresponsive and considered to be actively dying. My mom flew in and our children came home from college. My husband did pass away late Thursday night, Sept. 12th with all of us with him. Hospice and his doctors were all shocked that he had progressed so far so fast. The Monday night before he died he was somewhat alert but could not talk. I talked to him for a long time and asked him if he was tired of fighting. He nodded yes and I told him to let go whenever he was ready. It was by the next morning that he was unresponsive. We had his funeral yesterday. His battle is over and I am thankful for that but I am left here feeling so lost and lonely. There are a lot of people here at my house but miss my husband and the way we were before he was sick. My girls put together a slide show for the funeral and seeing all those pictures brought it all back. I had been taking care of this man with dementia who was nothing like my husband and honestly praying it wouldn't last forever. Now I am realizing how final this is. Our hospice nurse had warned me that trying to determine how much time was left is really tricky with ALS patients and she was right. Our situation changed so quickly. We all know how ALS ends but it doesn't make death any easier. I am left wondering how this happened and why us. This disease continues to be horrid as now I feel totally lost.

I am so sorry for your loss. I am sending prayer of comfort and strength to you and your family.

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I will add you to my prayer list.

I am so sorry for the loss of your dear husband. lean on your family and take good care of your self. peace to you.

So sorry for your loss. It sounded like he was ready to go. Thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

So sorry for your loss, my thoughts are with you and your family

SO very sorry for your loss. Time should help you let those memories of the person with dementia fade and the memories of the good times come flooding back. My son put the slide show from Glen's funeral on a disc so I can play it whenever I want. Even now, three years later, I do love the chance to remember that THAT was the man I fell in love with and married.

Very sorry. Wishing you peace and comfort
Nikki

so sorry for your loss, I hope you find some peace quickly

Your loss is enormous, taking care of and being responsible for your husband in such an intense way only increases the loss. None of us ever thought that we would be in this position, taking care of a loved one to such an extent that our outside life minimizes, and then the reason we persevered every day through this quite hell ...is gone. Be proud of yourself, know that you were loved beyond any dreams or expectations for 'being there' for him.

You lost your best friend. I'm so very sorry.

Wishing you courage in the days ahead.

He was so lucky to have you. I wish you all the best in the next phase of your life.

You are very brave, you have to be with this disease, at least he has peace now, so sorry, you are in my prayers.

I am so sorry and I know exactly how you feel. My darling left me in July and there is not a moment that goes by that I'm not wishing beyond all hope that he could be here with me. I miss him with every fiber of my being. Everyone says that you learn to live with the loss and the happy times come to give you relief. I wish that for the both of us.

Please feel free to private message me if you'd like to talk. I truly understand. Peace

Shelly

I'm very sorry you lost your husband. Yasmin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back