Here's what Cookin' in my kitchen. How about yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frizzel

Distinguished member
Reason
DX UMND/PLS
Diagnosis
03/2007
Country
US
State
WA
City
Vancouver
I was thinking about ways that make our lives a little easier and thought I'd start this thread about ways we make cooking easier. CALS and PALS and even those who are struggling with wading through their own diagnosises can share from all over our wonderful world.

My grandmother use to make these, my mom made them, I make them and now our daughter makes them. THey take a little time to put together but once they're done? They're easy to just pull the mixture out of the fridge and spoon into cupcake tins lined with cupcake liners.

Here's our 6 Weeks Bran Muffins....Combine and let cool-
2 Cups boiling water and 5 tsp. baking soda. Set aside.

Cream together 1 Cup shortening or butter & 2 Cups sugar.
Once creamed, add 4 eggs.
Stir and add in 1 quart buttermilk.

Combine dry mixture of 5 Cups flour & 1 TBLSP. salt
(If you like nutmeg or cinnamon add some)
THen mix into the creamed shortening and egg.

Add cooled soda water and mix.

FOLD into above batter:
4 C. All Bran
2 C. 40% Bran Flakes
(optional goodies can be added into the above mixture)
2 Cups CHopped or diced dates
1 Cup chopped nuts

Store in a covered container in refriderator one night before using the mixture to let everything soak into the bran. THis mixture will keep for 6 weeks if it lasts that long.

To bake: Spoon into muffin tins lined with cupcake liners. I fill them with a spoon full of mixture so they are about half full. That way the mix lasts longer, too.

Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes clean.

SOmetimes I punch into the top a few blueberries or chocolate chips. If some like nuts and some don't, I leave the nuts out of the main mixuter and put a couple nuts at the bottom of the muffin cup cake liner with a couple chockolate chips and THEN add the muffin mix.

They are yummy! Now my husband can get up, get the muffin tin out, put the liners in, and bake fresh muffins for us every couple of days. We ususally only cook about 6 at a time unless we have company.

Enjoy!

Frizzel

Here's what we have for breakfast a few times each week: smoothies.

Ingredients:

1 ripe banana
1 cup other fruit (frozen or fresh - any kind)
1/2 cup juice
1 cup vanilla yogurt

Put all ingredients in a blender until smooth. You can easily double the recipe and keep in refrigerator for another breakfast (doesn't keep more than two days).

If we have the time, we have smoothies with muffin. I'll try the new recipe next time!

Ok guys my favourite is tea biscuits. Has anybody got a good recipe not using Tea Bisk or Bisquick mixes. They taste like cardboard. A good ole down home recipe is what I'm lookin for.
AL.

Is that Canadian?

Is a tea biscuit like a scone? We lived in Canada for 12 years and I'm trying to think of what it is.

SOMEONE here MUST have a good oel from scratch recipe. I'll try making them if they're posted.

Scones are great with butter and jelly or honey. I'm hungry just thinking of eating them hot out of the oven.

Thanks KateO for the smoothie. What's your favorite fruit to put in?

Goodnight all! Frizzel

Al - I too love scones. But, I don't have a recipe.

Frizzle - I always include berries in the smoothies. I buy bags of frozen fruit to keep in the freezer: blueberries, strawberries, mixed fruit. Then, I just vary the types of fruit each time. Drinking these fruit smoothies really helps with constipation!

How about this one?

TEA BISCUITS

2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 c. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. vegetable shortening
1 c. raisins
2/3 c. milk

Sift together the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Cut shortening into the dry ingredients until the size of small peas (as for pie crust). Add the raisins and milk and mix to form dough. Knead 10 times and pat to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut into 1 1/2 inch circles and bake on greased cookie sheets at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes. May also be dropped by heaping teaspoonfuls onto greased sheets.

Al, here is recipe just like my 90 year old mother made. This recipe is also the same as scones.

IRISH TEA BISCUITS

2 c. flour
3/4 c. sugar
4 tbsp. shortening
2 eggs
3 tbsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1 c. raisins
1/2 c. milk

Sift flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together (add 1/2 cup wheat germ if desired). Cut in shortening with a pastry blender until mixture is like coarse meal. Add raisins. Beat eggs and milk together and blend into mixture. Line muffin tins with paper baking cups and fill each cup 2/3 full of mixture. Bake 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees or until golden brown. Makes 12 to 15 tea biscuits.

Joel-the Irish tea bisquits sound good. I am going to try that one along with Frizzel's bran muffins. I drink a smoothy every day as my face tires easily and chewing is a chore. If I start to lose weight - like after weeks of nausea, I make mine with half ensure and half fruity yogurt. I also use soft tofu instead of yogurt but that's an aquired taste...Any kind of fresh fruit tastes good and in the winter I like canned pear in my smoothy. I love this thread, Frizzel! Cindy

Thanks Joel

I'm making your tea biscuits tomorrow. Will let you know how they turn out.
YUM! We have unfiltered raspberry honey to put on them from a local grower.
I'm hitting the sheets so I can get up and get em made up.

Cindy, keep me posted how yours turn out.

Al, we'd send you some but they'd be hard tac by the time they got there. ha ha

Cheers!

Great. I get these new recipes and wife starts a diet today. No tea biscuits for a while. She might make them for a weekend treat for me. We'll see. Thanks folks.
AL.

.... I'm resurrecting an old thread, wanted to share smoothie ideas.

I've been using soy milk and soy icecream because it does not cause the formation of phlegm like cows milk does.... all of these are blender recipes rather than milkshake mixer style. We have a Breville blender, not as super duper as a Vitamix, but it does the trick for smoothies, I hit the smoothie button, and 60 seconds, or less, later it turns out a smoothie that is uniformly thick with no ice chunks. Lately I've been pouring part (after blending) in the glass, and putting part in the freezer so it stays thick long enough to get it all swallowed.

Peanut-butter Banana

1 cup plain Soy milk
giant spoonful of peanut butter ~ probably about 1.5 tablespoons
1 banana
half a tray of ice cubes
* I add my vitamin powder in, can't taste it at all.... Its All One brand. Use the type for "active seniors" (cringe) because this formula contains the co-q10
if the banana isn't super ripe I also cheat and add a little sugar :)

Blueberry Espresso
1 big handful of blueberries
double shot of espresso
1 cup chocolate soy milk or chocolate soy icecream
maybe a little sugar or Kahlua (why not, right?)... chocolate syrup would taste good too, never think to buy it though....
half a tray of ice cubes

Mango Lassi

(this makes a big smoothie, so plan on sharing, or cut down amount of ingredients to taste)

1 1/4 cups plain full fat yogurt
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 cup fresh mango pulp*
1/3 cup cold water
1 to 2 tablespoons honey or sugar (depending on how sweet you want it)
9 to 10 standard-size ice cubes

* Canned or frozen mango may be substituted

If using a fresh mango, peel and remove the flesh from the pit

Vanilla Chai tea latte smoothie.
1 cup Bolthouse Farms Perfectly Protein Vanilla Chai Tea with soy protein
1 cup vanilla icecream or vanilla soy icecream,
half a tray of ice cubes

anyone else have some recipes to share?

Last edited:
Rose-

Cleaning out a closet & I found these; had forgotten about them.
From the Miraval Spa- they were all delicious (although, some more "healthy tasting", if you know what I mean). For PALS who have difficulty swallowing all their vitamins & supplements, these could help to substitute!

Of course being "spa food", they are lower in fat & calories (I'm sure you can beef them up), but they are full of good stuff & different tastes; at least they will offer some variety.
Since it is out of season for most of the fruits, substitute with frozen.

Blueberry Super Smoothie;
1/2 banana (peeled)
1/2 cup pomegranate juice
1/2 cup blueberries
1/2 cup nonfat yogurt (or full fat yogurt for PALS)
1 tsp. fresh mint
1 TBL walnuts

combine all ingredients into a blender & blend until smooth
makes 2 servings
cal: 176 fat:4G (with non-fat yogurt)

Chef's Morning Starter
4 dates
1 banana
10-15 grapes
1/3 cup soy protein powder
12 oz ice

comine all ingredients into blender & blend until smooth
makes 1 serving
cal: 361 fat:2G

Green Power (this may sound gross, but it actually quite good!)
2 oz wheat grass* -juiced
2-3 whole dates
1 banana
1/2 cup papaya juice
12 oz ice

combine all ingredients in blender & blend until smooth
makes 1 serving
cal: 240 fat: 1G

*wheatgrass is a great blood purifier; it helps stop the development of unfriendly bacteria. It is very potent & could have a nauseating effect in beginning. Start with small amounts then work up to more. You can purchase it in powered, liquid, & tablet form from a health food store.

Omega Sensation
3/4 cup apple juice
1 banana
1 tsp flax seeds
1 tsp hemp seed oil
1 tsp cardamon
1 tsp cinnamon
12 oz ice

combine all ingerdients in blender & blend 'til smooth.
makes 1 serving
cal: 240 fat: 3G

Pina Colada Surprise (maybe add a little something here? this could be a 5pm smoothie!)
1 cup chopped pineapple
1 medium apple, chopped
1/4 cup lite coconut milk
1/2 cup papaya juice

place pineapple, papaya juice & apple in juicer & juice. Sit in coconut milk.
makes 1 serving
cal: 210 fat: 6G

Don Juan (I thought you might like this one Rose!?!)
1/4 cup pineapple juice
1 banana
1/4 cup lite coconut milk
1/4 cup chopped mango
12 oz ice

combine all ingredients in a blender & blend until smooth.
makes 1 serving
cal: 210 fat: 6G

Energizer Bunny (here's one for Glen!)
5 carrots
1 one inch segment of ginger root
1 medium apple

combine all ingredients in a blender & blend until smooth.
makes 1 serving
cal: 200 fat: 1G

These would be good not only for PALS, but CALS would benefit from them too!
They are great for energy & lots of vitamins.
Once you have all your ingredients, they are quick to put together in the morning when you have no time. More nutritious than cereal, easier then making eggs, etc.
Also a great afternoon "picker-upper"!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back