Here's what Cookin' in my kitchen. How about yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks mare, I am going to try these. Smoothies are almost the only "mouth food" for me now so these are very welcome.

Mare,

Most of those recipes would not appeal to my taste buds, but they will be bypassed when I start using the tube for food. Thank You for those recipes.

Glen

Glen-
"Don't knock it 'til you try it!" You sound like a little kid- "Mommy, I don't like it, it's green!"

That's the problem with "healthy" food; you see the ingredients & decide you don't like it! I wonder if Wanda had just made it & said "here, I made this especially for you"- you might just like it!

Then again, maybe not! LOL

Gee what a great lot of recipes! I agree with Rose re using soy milk and icecream in smoothies. It is definitely less inclined to add to or create excess mucous. Also is delicious and not near as bad as you might think if youve never been a soy fan!

Mare,

Thanks so much for sharing these. (that's a lot of typing!) Have you tried all of these yourself? I've had fresh wheat grass juice from the little juice bar at Whole Foods and really don't mind the taste. It does give a burst energy.

Glen, You have such a creative side to you. IMO you should develop some smoothie concept recipes to share 8) Seriously. The espresso blueberry chocolate idea was my own experiment (gone good rather than bad) sometimes I add Kahlua. & probably protein powder should be added to give it more value other than calories and antioxidants.

So, we're waiting for some SA specials;)

Rose-
I did try all of these when we were at the spa! Each day was a different one.
I made 1 or 2 when we got home (can't remember, as that was several years ago), somehow the recipes got put away & forgotten. (it's amazing what I find when I clean out drawers & closets!LOL)

I think anything that has banana in it conceals some of the "healthy" ingredients, as well as pineapple & blueberries. These were all very light (as compared to a milkshake type of smoothie), so yes, PALS would want to beef them up, while for CALS they are great just as they are. Experiment with adding protein powders & fats, depending on your needs. Soy is always a good substitute for any dairy.

They really give a burst of energy- so needed for caregivers- and anti-oxidants to help keep us healthy to care for our PALS! So, even if your PALS won't try them (Glen), give them a try for yourself !

As far as the typing- I had time on my hands yesterday. Jim was watching the Eagles in the afternoon (not having a good year so far), and the Phillies at night (donig great so far- looking for a repeat!) Was just not in a sports mood yesterday.

I have always been a leftover person. Leftover surprise is something I enjoy. Thats where you throw all caution and start mixing stuff from the fridge into a frying pan.

Then I specialize in sandwiches. Peanut butter , bologna and pickles with Miracle Whip is a favorite. Once a year , I buy a jar of liquid plastic (Cheeze Whiz) and use it to stick everything together in a sandwich. Cheese Whiz & Kraft Peanut Butter MmmMmm.

Some of these , I wont call them recipies, are going to be a challenge for the peg. I figure V8 vegetable juice will be the liquid of choice.

I also know that once I am feeding through the PEG that Wanda will start cooking some of those "Gawd thats terrible" foods.

First , I am on the hunt for a 5200 !

Glen

"Peanut butter , bologna and pickles with Miracle Whip"

Whoa! Way too much information! My stomach is turning, what kind of pickles?

Bick's Yum Yum's are the best followed by garlic dill sliced long

Glen

I made Beer Cheese Soup with Asparagus for my husband this evening. Doubled the cheese and over cooked the asparagus so everything would be nice, thick and soft for easy swallow. You can throw this in the blender if you need smoother consistency! Just use any beer cheese soup recipe, they are all about the same. But don't use those processed cheese recipes - gross!

Peanut butter and iceberg lettuce on wheat bread is awesome! My son loves it too! My husband thinks we are weird. What's new? LOL

Wow! What a great thread :] I found this on the MDA Newsletter so thought that I would pass it on. I would guess that they could be ordered from Amazon or Barnes & Nobles. Any special meals planned for Thanksgiving? I have a fabulous Sweet Potato Souffle recipe if anyone is interested.

The I-Can’t-Chew Cookbook: Delicious Soft Diet Recipes for People with Chewing, Swallowing and Dry Mouth Disorders, by J. Randy Wilson, 2003, Hunter House.

Good Housekeeping Blend It! 150 Sensational Recipes to Make in Your Blender — Frappes, Smoothies, Soups, Pancakes, Frozen Cocktails and More by Barbara Chernitz, 2003, Hearst.

The Dysphagia Cookbook by Elayne Achilles, 2003, Cumberland House.

Easy-to-Swallow, Easy-to-Chew Cookbook: Over 150 Tasty and Nutritious Recipes for People Who Have Difficulty Swallowing, by Donna L. Weihofen, 2002, Wiley.

sweet potato souffle...yum.....please post it......i want something different than the usual candied sweet potatoes

Thanks for the cookbook titles. Will be looking into those!

"Peanut butter, bologna and pickles with Miracle Whip is a favorite."

Glen, NO WAY! That is the funniest sandwich I have ever heard of! WOWEE WOW WOW. :lol:

You are too much, Dude.

Don't knock it until you try it.

Peanut butter to stick it together
bologna as a separator
pickles for the crunch
Miracle whip because its not a sandwich without it.

My daughter Amy likes them too.

Ever put potato chips in a sandwich ?

Glen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back