Not open for further replies.

Sammantha

Country
Uni
State
NC
City
Newport
The pulmonary function test was taxing on my ribs, chest and throat....... The lady kept telling me my epiglottis was closing so she was not getting a good reading, so i had to keep doing it over and over... She then asked how long i have been making that noise when i breathe, i told her i did not notice it until i was lying down to go to bed about three weeks ago and could not breather what so ever out of my mouth and now i have to sleep upright. When the test was over she said the doctor will look it over and give the results to my doc. I told her my appointment was in a month and she said if the doc finds anything they will contact her sooner. That was that.... The only reading i saw was a big red block that said <85% FVC....... So if anyone knows what that means, feel free to chime in.... I had a completer exam but i did not see or even try to read anything else....... Thanks, Sam

FVC of 85 isn't that bad really. Your forced vital capacity is 85% compared to the general population your age and size. I was in the 85% range when they told me I should have a Bipap. Almost 3 years later my FVC Is around 60%. They might suggest a Bipap for you with having to sleep upright.

AL.

Thanks Al, i forgot to mention that in the middle of the test she went and got albuterol and at the end of the test i had to do a breathing treatment with it and she checked my heart rate, she then made me do a couple more breathe things on the machine.... I have not heard much about others that got a breathing treatment, although it did not help i rather she would have gotten my a excederine for back and body ache at that point! Thanks, Sam

Sam,

Was the albuterol part of the test or was she giving you a treatment? Normally they do the regular test first then they do the part with the albuterol to see if it improves the numbers. From your orginal posting i believe that was supposed to be included in the test. Were you in the phone booth looking thing like I was?

Yes it looked like a clear phone booth..... She did the treatment at the very end of the test and only took a couple more breathe samples after that. One or two, i dont know if it showed improvement but i did not feel better..... I got so nauseas and my hands started to go numb from pushing out the air, she kept hollering to push and i had no more to push, i almost popped a baby out! Now as i sit here my heart is beating so fast and my front and back ribs hurt so much, this stinks............. I will stop whining now, the lady was from Scotland so that was neat, i liked her accent. Write back! Thanks, sam

Sam, I really feel that all of this is good. Not your results of the testing, but that you're on your way to having your doctors become a little more proactive in getting you treatment to help the symptoms, and also getting to the root of what is causing them.

To tell you the truth, I was afraid that your FVC was going to come back at like 110% or some number, so it wouldn't raise any red flags to your doctors and your frustration would just continue to mount (Not that I wanted something to be wrong, but obviously there is).

I think its also good that the lady administering your test noted the closing of your airway, because even though that is not your lungs, its part of what allows you to breathe. So,....now you've got documentation from someone who may have professional constraints from offering you her opinion, but will definitely give that feedback to the doctors involved.

Incidentally, I've never had the phone booth thing, just the machine with the hose, and the clip for the nose. I have this same test again down for the first time at Hopkins next month, so maybe I get the booth then (I can pretend I'm Agent 99 LOL).

It sounds like you gave it your best with the testing, which is good too, so that they can't assume any of the readings are from lack of effort on your part. I think you're on your way to some answers and feeling better. Don't forget about getting that referral to Hopkins though.

Re: the Scottish brogue, I loved to hear them talk when I had them on the plane, but God save me, I could barely understand much of what they said. I 'd stand there, trying to read lips, and still have to keep asking them to repeat themselves.:)

take care sweetie :) (hugs)

Sam,

I don't know if my post got lost, or I replied to another thread (LOL). But anyway this morning I was trying to warn you that the tech will be yelling at you, they are just trying to get the best numbers. They sound like crazy nuts.

hang in there,

It is good because this is really happening and it is scary to wake at night from the sound of your throat rattling you or your hearbeating so hard it feels like it is going to pop out of your chest.... When i saw Bedlacks superior i made sure and wrote down my breathing problems, they started with layrngitis at work and not being able to read a full book to the kids or sing songs without getting winded. I always thought it was due to my sore throat or swollen glands. Then when i upped my excersize regimen this summer with lots of swimming it really took a toll on my abdomen and chest, that sped things up real fast. He would not even listen to that or look at my tongue/soft palate etc... I did not push him............ It reminds of my gallbladder, ultrasounds and ct scan show nothing yet i have pain and nausea. I do the hida scan and it shows that it is functioning at a 7! There is the proof, i didn't have irritable bowel or extreme anxiety that caused stomach pain and nausea, darn it! By the way my gallbladder has only had one attack in the last three months and that is really good. If it was not for this site and the support of friends on here i would have given up and who knows what........ I consider most people on here to be some of my best friends................ Sam

When i get my full results i will post them

He would not even listen to that or look at my tongue/soft palate etc...

Sam, Unfortunately most of us have run into a doctor like this at one point or another. I don't really know what happens with them, why they're like that, and whether they were always like that, or if the profession made them that way, either by hardening themselves because of the difficulty facing people with such symptoms, or whether it be a matter of ego, and feeling that they've "arrived" in their field of expertise. The reason really doesn't matter. Its wrong to treat a patient that way, and you deserved better. It made it even worse because you'd been counting on him giving you answers, but yet he wouldn't even listen.

When you get that phone call from your doctor concerning your pulmonary test results, please don't forget to ask for an ENT referral, and the Hopkins referral!

I know it will be easy to get caught up in what she has to say, but her thoughts as to what the test revealed in some ways aren't as important as what she has to say about the steps needed to address the problems found. ~ and yes, you've got it right, I'm still there, listening in, so you continue to hold your ground in getting to someone that can help you sort out all of this mess!

Your husband deserves to get the girl he married back, and your boys need you too. You've set such a good example with your determination to be a loving devoted mom, but now, please set the example of someone that won't be overwhelmed by "the system". You've got so much in your favor that whatever it is you have can be treated, and its way past time to get started on that treatment.

You've got a whole lot of of us cheering you on! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back