Loved one DX
Country
US
State
NC
City
Charlotte
Hello again,

I have been researching how best to help a fully incapacitated ALS patient use the toilet. I mean, if they haven't the use of their arms and torso muscles, how do they sit up? The patient is my father and his wheelchair will no longer fit into the bathroom. We purchased a portable toilet but I believe keeping him seated on it will be a challenge. Also, caring for his needs immediately after he uses the toilet is a concern. I researched bidet's but most are for standard toilets and not portable ones. So, aside from using a bedpan, my questions are:

1) How do you handle setting your loved one onto a toilet when they are fully incapacitated?
2) What is the best option for cleaning him/her after using the toilet?
3) What other advice can you offer?

Thank you, in advance, for your advice and help.

-Ken

My commode chair wheels right over the toilet. It has seat belts, torso and lap. I don't need them yet. The home care worker or wife just pull me away from the toilet and reach under to wipe. Toilet paper, then a wet wipe. Then back into the Hoyer lift.

AL.

Sometimes the easy solutions are the ones I miss. I guess I was looking too far into the issue. Many thanks for your advice AL.

-Ken

AL , did you ever consider one of those toilet top devices that washes and blow dries at the touch of a button ?

I am just having a hard time to let anyone take care of that disgusting deed. I know its coming.

Some days I think I am going back the way I came. Bald with someone to feed me and change me. *sigh*

Still walkin & Talkin (though both are getting worse)
Glen

Yes, I've thought about a Toto Washlet but it would screw up the bathroom running hot water to it now. And I'm cheap I guess. I dreaded the day that I had to let someone else do the paper work for me. It wasn't that bad after all. Just grin and bare it. A bit of toilet humor helps too. You don't even want to get me started on having 4 different women washing your balls in a week. LOL.

AL.

Al, with the Toto you don't kneed any hot water, you just connect it to the toilet (cold) water supply. You DO need a 110v outlet.

-Tom

Way to go Tom.

I'm for a cold shot vs someone I don't intimately know doing the paper work.

Al , these 4 women ?
You are paying them to do this ?
At your home , or at the No-tel Motel ?
Are they at least cute ?
Do their buttons pop when they ...
{{censored}}
{{censored}}
{{censored}}
{{censored}}
{{censored}}

Ooops , sorry ... I was lured by the darkside ;)

No pay. Home care 2 older, 2 young ,rest are in between.

AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back