00/0000
Country
US
State
OR
City
Portland
Hello,
I have been experiencing persistent twitching for about 6 weeks in my legs and feet, along with sporadic twitching in my shoulders and arms. In the last few days, my right hand has been feeling tired and weak(heavier, stiff, not as much flexibility). My question is around my perceived weakness. When someone has ALS, does the weakness literally just show up and you can move your hand anymore? Or would it show up similar to what I’m feeling in my hand? I don’t feel any weakness in my legs where the twitching has been but now that my hand is feeling this way it’s starting to get concerning. PCP ordered blood draw and referred me to a neuro.

thanks for your time !

ALS is not a feeling, it is failure of the muscles to do something you used to be able to. Tired, heavy, stiff feelings suggest that ALS is low on the list, and widespread twitching also argues strongly against it.

Let us know what happens with the neuro.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you for your time and response Laurie. My blood work came back today and it was all normal. My hand has been progressively worse over the last few days. I understand that als is not a “feeling” of being weak, however my hand seems to be not flexing as much and holding a pen /pencil is becoming awkward. Is this how a failing muscle in als would progress, or is it something more sudden?

When I had just the twitching i had little concern. Everyone’s quote is there needs to be weakness involved and the onset of how weakness appears is the confusing part. Again, thank you to anyone who takes the time to read this.

I had a brain MRI and the results came back with no issues. I had my initial neuro appointment via zoom and he did not suspect als however i will be going in for a physical exam on Monday along with an EMG. I’ve pinpointed my hand issues to my right thumb/pointer finger area where I’ve had issues with mobility. I’m also seeing a psychologist today as this worry has taken an unhealthy toll on my mental state. Not sure if anyone will read this or cares, but will keep you updated with emg results next week. Thanks for your time and support.

That is great you are getting seen next week. Also great you are getting help to deal with your feelings. Good for you.

please let us know what happens on Monday. In the meantime step away from the computer and try to forget about this.

good luck

My emg came back clean today. Dr had no concerns about als or neuro disease as the twitches were benign and hand issue seems to be unrelated. I’m grateful, however I’m also left feeling for all those affected by this terrible disease. Is there a charity that is affiliated with this forum? I would like to donate $100. In the grand scheme of things it’s not very much but even if it buys a family dinner it will be worth it. Admins please let me know!

Congratulations. Happy for you.
it is very generous to want to help. ( and that is no small amount) There is a donate button to keep the forum going but if you want it to go to PALS / patient services there are certainly ways to do that. I am going to leave it to Laurie to suggest because she knows your area and who makes the best use of donations there. Thank you

Thank you Nikki . I just donated $25 to the forum and will take a look online to see where i can donate to PALS. You may close this if you’d like, as i plan to stay away as part of my mental healing. Good luck to everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back