Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
CT
City
Chester
Hi, my mom has ALS and she is stuck down in Florida right now. She is on a respirator and my dad is not sure how to get her back home to CT. They say she needs to be with a dr at all times and an air ambulance or an ambulance are too expensive. please let me know if you have any ideas!

lorelei-

search the forum under "airplane travel."

hope that helps.

maybe someone else could offer another suggestion.

Hi, I'm so sorry your mother is in such serious condition. Is she intubated on a respirator (temporary life support) or does she have a tracheostomy with portable respirator? If it is the latter, when she heals from the surgery, travel in some form should be possible given sufficient care in transit, which your father and other family members could perform if given training, or a nurse could be hired to assist. Not easy, but I think it would be possible.
If she is intubated, I do not know what would be necessary for travel, perhaps the ambulance as you were told. If that is so, and your mom does not wish to have the tracheostomy with ventilator, you may all wish to get to where she is as fast as possible.
My prayers are with you as you go through this difficult time. I wish peace and strength for your mother and father whatever happens.
Holly

Check the local area

There are a number of chairitable org's that offer air transport at little or no cost. Call a fixed base operation at the airport and ask if any are to be found in the area. If no luck, talk to groups such as the Masonic lodge, Lion's Club, Rotary, even the local chamber of commerce; not just in the city of departure but your home area as well. There are corp's that offer their a/c and crews at no cost as a goodwill gesture, I know cause I was one of the pilots that flew for free...good luck.:oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back