Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
HI
City
Honolulu
Hello,

I posted several months ago about symptoms and concern that I possibly had ALS. I had several symptoms that included no confidence in my gait, twitching, pain, and cold spots on arm and leg. This forum provided reassuring feedback that it didn't sound like ALS. I have sense had an EMG/NCV on both arms. I see my neurologists next week to review the results. The summary of the results were as follows:

"The nerve conduction studies of the upper extremities revealed mildly reduced ulnar sensory nerve action potentially bilaterally as outlined on page 2. The right ulnar sensory distal latency was prolonged.
concentric needles examination demonstrated long duration polyphasic motor unit potentials without fibrillation potentials in the pronator teres muscle bilaterally. high amplitude long duration motor unit potentials without fibrillation potentials were found in the left triceps.

The nerve conduction studies and EMG of the upper extremities provides electrophysiologic evidence for 1) chronic C6 radiculopathy bilaterally. 2) Old left C7 radiculopathy, and 3) mild sensorimotor peripheral neuropathy. There is no convincing evidence for active denervation. There is ongoing re-innervation in the C6 myotome bilaterally."

Thoughts?

I'm no doctor, but it sounds like some neuropathy due to diabetes. Good news, no ALS. Keep your appointment, of course, and good luck to you.

"no convincing evidence for active denervation" == no ALS

Do all EMGs test for denervation and re-innervation?

I believe so, yes. Stop hijacking other threads.

Thanks. I wasn't sure what this said when it talked about reduced ulnar nerve. I thought no fibrillations meant no ALS but wanted feedback now that I have the report.

No fibrillations indicates no active denervation. No active denervation indicates no ALS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back