Help with applying for Disability.. what options do I have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCGIRL

Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
10/2011
Country
US
State
North Carolina
City
Sylva
Hi all... I have a question I hope to get some help with. I recently went out of work on disability and I will be getting my short term disability through work for 6 months then it will go into long term. I'm not sure how long that will last. I heard that they will more than likely try to settle with a lump sum payment. Then I will have to apply for SS disability. I'm not sure what to do should I go ahead and apply for SS disability or just wait? Also my husband works at the same place I did so I'm still on his insurance. My next question is can I apply for Medicare to pay what my insurance doesn't pay?

By the way I'm only 35 years old and I feel like I'm so dumb about all this. Hope you all can help with my questions. Thanks :)

Sorry, duplicate post.

Last edited:
First, you need to find out how long your LTD will pay out. Is it through your employer? If so, contact your benefits department and actually get a copy of the policy. They have to provide it to you if you ask. I've never heard of a lump sum payout from anyone else on the various forums, so I would strongly suggest some legal advice. I would contact your local ALSA chapter to see if they know of an attorney that will discuss your situation. Sometimes there are lawyers that will do free basic advice for us Pals.

You also should determine what impact getting SS disability payments does to your LTD payments. Unfortunately, it is very common practice for LTD to deduct your SS payment such that you end up with the same net amount regardless. If you fall into that category, there isn't really a financial reason to postpone applying for SS.

You should determine which insurance, Medicare or your husband's would be primary coverage. You don't get to choose usually. Depending on how you are covered for your health insurance, you may want to postpone getting on Medicare slightly if you have better insurance to get some of your equipment now before Medicare red tape gets in the way.

I'm sure there are lots more questions so just ask away. We're not experts, but a number of us have travelled this path already.

I used a diabililty advocate who took a percentage of my back disablity when I got the check. I thought he was worht every penny, and, if you are interested, PM me and I'll give anyone interested his contact info. He is in Virginia, but knows the SS system inside and out.
Holly

Glen's company provided a Social Security advocate as one of his company benefits! Those people were WONDERFUL.. got us all through and handled all the contact with SS.. saving me a big headache!

My local SS office told me that ALS Disability claims go to the top of the pile. And from what I read IF you get approved for SS Disability you get Medicare almost immediately instead of the 24 month normal wait time. And from what I read on Medicare website about IF you have private/job health insurance & you get Medicare the private/job health insurance is primary and Medicare is secondary.
Brian D was correct as far as my LTD. After 1 year my LTD will see if I am receiving disability from anywhere else OR if I am elligible to receive disability anywhere else. If so then they will pay me the difference of what $$ they pay me compared to what $$ I could or do get from disability or $100. But not more than $100.

And from what I read IF you get approved for SS Disability you get Medicare almost immediately instead of the 24 month normal wait time. And from what I read on Medicare website about IF you have private/job health insurance & you get Medicare the private/job health insurance is primary and Medicare is secondary.

You get payments and start Medicare 5 months from the date of disability (when you stopped working)

I am on my employers COBRA policy, and that is secondary, Medicare is primary. So best to check with your husband's carrier and see what they say.

Thanks all for your advice. Brian.. yes my STD/LTD is through my employer. I will ask for a copy of the policy. Thanks again and I will probably have more questions going forward.

You don't need anyone to help unless your turned down and if you have been diagnosed ALS you will get your disability. You just call the number in the phone book. They will do a lot of it for you over the phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back