Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
nj
City
deptford
I am so frustrated because my mom sits in a recliner all day and night. she may go into the wheelchair for an hour but its not her own so its uncomfortable. What do most PALS do? Are they in bed, wheelchair, recliner? Any insight or stories would be so appreciated.

PS. I find this forum more helpful than the doctors. thanks again

I stay in my wheelchair all day so that I can move freely around the house. It isn't very comfortable but I try to keep transfers to a minimum because they are stressful for me. If your mom is losing strength in her neck and torso, an ill-suited wheelchair might not provide enough support.

I'm in my power chair 12-14 hours most days. I have a Roho cushion and desk style armrests. It's comfy 99% of the time.

AL.

I am like Al, I am in my powerchair from the time I get out of bed until I go back to bed. We have molded our own foam for the backrest to make it more comfortable for my bony back and sit on a ROHO cushion. It works.

My hubby spends most of his day in the recliner. He does have some mobiltiy and moves to a comfy computer chair sometimes during the day. We talked about moving his bed into the livingroom later so he can watch the big screen more comfortably but he prefers his recliner right now.

i'm in my power chair 12-14 hours most days. I have a roho cushion and desk style armrests. It's comfy 99% of the time.

Al.

hi
what model do you have they start at 79.00 to 400.00

thanks pat

My wife spends about 13 - 14 hours a day in her electric wheelchair. As mentioned in a post above, transfers are also hard on her. Most of the time she finds the wheelchair comfortable. It can tilt, recline, raise and lower her leg rests so she can, as often as she wants, reposition herself.
mark

I spend most of my time in a lift chair with my DynaVox in front of me, surfing the internet web, emailing, texting or playing games. Pretty soon, my powerchair will be fixed again, with a mount for my DynaVox of course, and the sidewalks in Punxsutawney will be safe no more:shock::twisted::shock:

Well, I spend the most of the day in my "loaner chair" which is too small and i now have pressure sores on one foot. We live in a 2 lvl house main living upstairs, so we can't and won't be able to have the powerchair upstairs. Once we gets the ceiling lifts put in I can relax in my recliner. I can't transfer onto clothed furniture without help, I get stuck.

And transferring stresses me out badly, I have fallen twice while doing it.

Micheline

My Mom spends most of her time on her bed. It is a hospital bed with one of the mattresses that adjust the air periodically to prevent pressure sores. She has an electric wheelchair but can't sit in it for more than an hour. She says it is uncomfortable and feels like she's "sitting on her bones". The chair tilts and has a head rest, extendable legs and a roho cushion but it doesn't seem to help. Mom is currently unable to move either of her legs, and her right arm. Her left arm has limited use in it. Sitting upright makes it harder for her to breathe but tilting the chair back puts too much pressure on her tailbone. I try to encourage her to sit in her chair but she prefers the bed.

My mom spent most of her time in a recliner, day and night, for about 18 months. She liked it because until she lost the very last of her limb movement she could adjust her own position (she has the power lift type). She would spend a few hours in her power wheelchair each day. Once she was too weak to use the lift that allowed her to be properly positioned in the recliner she swiched to the hospital bed and now she is there pretty much fulltime. We put the bed in the living room so she is still in the midst of it all where she likes to be.

Whatever is comfortable and doesn't produce pressure sores is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back