Friend was DX
Country
US
State
ND
City
Rural
Hi,

Does anyone have any ideas for us. The patient is a 65 y/o woman, and has now lost her ability to talk, and move. We can barely understand anything that she says. We've tried the Dynavox computer, but she can not control the mouse, and becomes frustrated with it. Are there any flip charts, flow charts...any sorts of charts out there that we can use to communicate with her?
thanks

I have not used them but I know of alphabet charts that are available on www.ALSCARE.com. There is tons a great info for caregivers and I'm sure there is a chart you can download with instructions on how to use.

Good luck

Sharonca

Alphabet charts are great. Patience is required, but, they do work.
What is also helpful is developing a series of eye/eyebrow movements to indicate certain things... i.e... raised eyebrows could mean yes... one blink could mean no... etc...

There is a system called ERICA my husband uses it.......in fact there are many stories about him and this system, It is controlled by eye movement. Look it up erica eye response system....

Access to Communication

Andy:

Can she move anything? Has she tried the headmouse, a switch, or eye-gaze? What DynaVox does she have? If it is a Vmax, the new EyeMax may work - coming in a month.

Hi,

Does anyone have any ideas for us. The patient is a 65 y/o woman, and has now lost her ability to talk, and move. We can barely understand anything that she says. We've tried the Dynavox computer, but she can not control the mouse, and becomes frustrated with it. Are there any flip charts, flow charts...any sorts of charts out there that we can use to communicate with her?
thanks

I'm not sure which dynavox she is using...she can move her head a bit, and we have tried a switch connected to her head switch...but she quickly becomes frustrated and gives up using it. This leaves all of us disappointed and grasping at straws to understand her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back