Diagnosis
07/2019
Country
US
State
WA
City
Seattle
My PALS has trouble getting to sleep at night and wants to try THC to see if that will help. He has a feeding tube and can no longer swallow. Neither of us have ever been pot users, so we are totally clueless about what to get. I assumed we needed a liquid, but I see on one of the dispensary websites that there are creams and patches. Any suggestions on what try first? What dosage should we start with? Any brands you recommend?

This will be our first time "buying drugs"! The fact that it is totally legal in our state, takes some of the excitement out of it, but it still feels a bit racy!

I am no expert, but I imagine you should get edibles (which I think can be purified to go down the feeding tube). The effects of these take about 45 mins to kick in but should last awhile.

There are also the oils (tinctures) which absorb fast (15 mins) but for these to work properly they need to be administered sublingually. The effects only last a few hours. I think this could be dangerous for a PALS and would avoid doing so.

Reactions: rmt
@GXTrex Thanks for the info! That's very good to know about the oils. I had no idea! I'm sure we can get the edibles to work with his tube.

I take 5 mg THC (indica) capsule an hour before bedtime. I'd think you could mix the capsule powder into a liquid for a feeding tube.
I've been taking this for 3 years and it does help me sleep.

I use the oil at bedtime. There are different ratios of CBD/THC. I use an oil that has a 1/9 ratio. I only use this before bed because it's a high ratio. If you were going to try using an oil make sure to start slow with a low dose, usually it's 5ml. You can always adjust the dosage if you feel that it's not enough. I've used it for over 2 years

I'll second what Lisa said. My hubby takes a 1 to 1 ratio of 3 mg indica to 3 mg of CBD. You can get a higher ratio of CBD to THC, which would induce more relaxation. Try in low increments and work up from there. If you give him too high a dose he'll get anxious and it will work the opposite from what you are trying to achieve. The dose that I give my hubby makes him sleep like a baby

We used the tinctures and we also used a coconut oil based product (warmed to liquid). Both were administered via the g-tube. The tinctures are alcohol based and work quickly. I preferred them. My friend used them for sleep and to dry up saliva (cotton mouth). I added to a small amount of water and flushed the g-tube with a small amount of water after administration. Start with very small doses, you can always give more if necessary. The retailers can probably give you great information about doses and help you find the product that you are looking for. Additionally, Diazepam (Valium) is an effective treatment for insomnia, used off label. Specifically Diazepam(Valium) not Lorazepam(Ativan). L-theanine 60mg 20 minutes before bed is a natural, subtle treatment. It's an amino acid from green tea extract and you can use it in combination with either of the treatments free of adverse effects. Best wishes

I'm sure everyone looks up drugs before trying them, but it would be wrong to leave the impression that diazepam, a benzodiazepine, has no down sides. It's a sedative class that over time fosters dependence and the need for greater doses to achieve the same effect. Benzos also change your sleep architecture, making slow wave sleep more difficult to obtain, which can cause confusion, dizziness, and falls the next day. The confusion is part of what has driven numerous ODs, often but not always in concert with other respiratory depressants like alcohol, codeine, morphine and the sedating street drugs.

Some PALS use benzos with success but they are NOT a first line sleep aid for someone ambulatory like Robin's husband. I would actually try low-dose melatonin or the cannabis first, with several options past that, before going to benzos for a walker. Adequate B vitamin intake is also important.

And, of course, it's always safer to try supplements of any kind one at a time, so you know how to back off if they are not a fit. Even L-theanine is not right for everyone.

Refreshing sleep is the end game, not just being knocked out to sleep some. Relaxing the muscles for PALS who get cold, with a low voltage heated mattress pad and tweaking indoor/machine (if applicable) humidity and temperature can also help. 'Tis also the season to change furnace and xPAP filters, and rinse or change hoses, so no one's throat and nose is irritated by dirty air.

Light layers are preferable for many, even in winter, and that may help avoid moisture buildup that can harm skin. It can also be good to alternate synthetic and cotton layers for the same reason.

Best,
Laurie

Thanks so much for all your suggestions! I feel like we are threading the needle trying to find good sleep but not make my husband more likely to fall in the middle of the night!

We went to the neighborhood dispensary and the woman was so helpful! We decided to start with a CBD oil that is part CBD and part CBN, which is supposed to help with sleep. We figure this is a soft entry as opposed to going right to using THC. I'm trying it too, so I know what it feels like. The first night we both used half a dose, and it helped a little. The next night we both did a full dose. I was definitely groggy the next morning. My husband was a little groggy but not bad. And we both slept pretty well. My husband was still restless at first but seemed to get a good night's sleep after an hour or two.

For the last 2 nights he's been doing a full dose and sleeping well. I think we need to give it to him earlier because it still takes him a while to get the restlessness out. And we may need to add some THC to see if that helps. But he has been way more rested in the morning the last few days! Progress!

Robin, that is such great news. My husband is restless for a bit after giving him his dose, so I think I'll try earlier than right at bed to ensure he goes right out, as well. Fingers crossed it works.

Please always consult a doctor for advice on any change in medications, supplements or whatever. We don't have doctors here, but advice can be great, but you should always then work with your doctor who can be sure there are no contraindications.

Sorry, I was speaking of the L- theanine when I said no adverse effects. Valium and benzos all have the possibility of adverse effects. Benefits vs risks should always be evaluated and utilized cautiously and accordingly.

Even L-theanine has potential side effects, especially with limited interaction data and all the meds/supplements that many PALS take. We know that it may reduce BP and cause sedation, which also describes several other meds that are common in ALS. Too much of the same thing can be the wrong thing.

I do agree that everyone must find the sleep recipe that works for them. But there is literally no drug or medicinal agent that is so safe, that issues of adverse events and potential interactions can be disregarded.

Earlier, Lisa mentioned to "start slow with a low dose, usually it's 5ml." Going slow is good advice, but new users need to be careful they are comparing the same thing and not confuse milligrams and milliliters. The important part is how many milligrams of THC or CBD are being consumed. Milliliters is the amount of whatever you are consuming that contains the THC/CBD. A "low dose" could vary from 0.5ml or less to several milliliters depending on the concentration.

These items should be labeled with the total amount of THC/CBD they contain, say 100 mg of CBD in a 15ml bottle. 100mg of CBD per 15ml of tincture is about 7mg/ml (100/15). Decide how many milligrams you want to use and calculate the number of ml. (Often the dropper is marked in milliliters.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back