Other
Country
US
State
OH
City
Columbus
Hi everyone,

I have not been diagnosed with ALS but so far I have Spasmodic Dysphonia (a voice disorder), Cervical Dystonia, Peripheral Neuropathy and Fibromyalgia with other things thrown in there.

My grandmother had an undiagnosed voice disorder, very hard to understand, my mom's cousin has Lupus and then she had forgotten to tell me that her twin cousins had ALS! Since then I have been so worried that I have inherited that, too.

I see my neuro/muscular doctor Monday so want to have the more invasive testing done to rule things out. Is it possible to inherit ALS? Could my PN be a precurser to ALS? I am just so scared right now.

Hi Catherine. Sorry you are so upset about all your symptoms. Familial ALS can occur in 5 to 10 % of the cases. That's not really a large percentage. I'd mention the cousins to the Neuro but they may be far enough away genetically to not be a worry. Try not to worry. All it does is make some symptoms worse. Let us know how the doc visit goes.
AL.

Thanks

I really appreciate the response especially since you all probably hear this all the time. I have spent some time today reading on here and it sounds like it's sometimes a long road to a diagnosis. I'm sure I have lots more tests to look forward to but, at least, I feel a little better reading on here. My last EMG showed carpal tunnel in both wrists and unlnar nerve problems. They never did my legs so I assume that would be the next road to travel. Everyone seems so nice here. I hope I don't need to come back but if I do, it'll be a great place to find lots of caring people.

You are right that it can be a long road to finding out what is going on. Feel free to visit anytime the stress gets to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back