Diagnosis
03/2017
Country
US
State
FL
City
North Port
My dad came down with a sinus infection. He is now on antibiotics but producing alot of phlegm in the back of his throat. He is suctioning constantly and refuses to lay down to nap. He is barely sleeping because he is afraid he is going to choke to death. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am at my wits end right now.

Well, you might mention that we know of no such cases, that sleep is necessary to fight off the infection, that he will wake up if he feels uncomfortable and that you will check on him. I would make sure his head is elevated for comfort, that he has enough humidification, clean any filters needed, his bed temp is just right, etc.

Do you use a baby monitor, webcam or something similar? Remember, you can set up a system in a snap with an app and any kind of device on the Internet (desktop, laptop, tablet, phone), that faces his bed.

That fear is so deep for many PALS and rational discussion doesn't always assuage it.

Are they giving him something like bisolvon to thin out that phlegm? That may be worth a try as it is brilliant stuff.

Have they prescribed anything like chlonazepam to help reduce the feelings of panic?
The great thing with this is it can prescribed in drops that go under the tongue and even a bulbar PALS can tolerate this. Just one or two drops may reduce that panic a lot so that he sleeps.

It's true that if he can get some good rest he is likely to heal up faster.

He is on atropoline and musinex. I agree the anxiety is overwhelming for him now. We are waiting for hospice to come out and see how they can help. This part is very new to all of us so we are trying to help as best as we can. It is the laying down that scares him into thinking he is going to choke immediately. Even though his bed is at 90 degrees now, he is still anxious. Does hospice have anything that will help with the anxiety?

I believe rest is very helpful in healing and feeling stronger. I know exactly when he has or hasn't slept by the look on his face so I will kindly disagree and continue to look for help.

Yes, as Tillie mentioned, medications in the "benzodiazepine" class [think Ativan, Valium, etc.], that they are used to giving and are available in liquid/drop form, can alleviate anxiety.

It's a vicious cycle because the less he sleeps, the less realistic his thinking may be. So breaking the cycle is important.

Definitely hospice can get you on to clonazepam in some form as drops and it may well do the trick. When he starts to panic it may increase the mucus and become a bit of a cycle.

I'm just trying to clarify this bit - if his bed is set so he is semi-upright, is it getting into bed that is causing anxiety as it sounds like he isn't really laying down? So what I'm wondering is does he have a recliner chair, and can you set him up in that for a night or two if he has less anxiety there?

How is your dad doing now - are the antibiotics clearing up the infection and is this easing his symptoms?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back