Status
Not open for further replies.

wewillbeatthis

Distinguished member
Ok so I started a thread that was not getting any response and I am in need of response from my ALS family... I am going against my advise and searching the net and coming up with all types of reasons for todays unfortunate event.... I am about to send dad to the ER to make sure that something really really bad is not going on...

What happend this morning was that dad woke at his normal 5:30 am to get ready for the day and he woke normal until he sat up and said that he was light headed and nasious. He went to the bathroom and walked around and nothing was helping. So he laid back down and when he opened his eyes he felt as if he was on a ship he was dizzy and his eyes just would not focus on one thing without the spinning feeling. I had him walk some more and he was stable although scared and he was fine when walking but if he stood and put his head foward or back he would get light headed. So then I thought water and made him drink a bottle of water and then some ginger ale to help with the nasuea. about 1/3 hour later he said he felt better told the men he was not coming in today and went to take a nap. This time he was not dizzy and able to sleep comfortable for about 45 min. Got up and everything was good he did laundry, went up and down the steps a couple of times and all is good...

I am finding now that this could be dehydration, blood pressure, lack of oxegyn, and worse pnemouen cause he has fluid of food in his lungs... I mean dad coughs from time to time when taking a big sip of something, or eating something really dry... Or when he is eating something and really tired...

Oh this is all so much I don't know what to do and really need some advise fast...

Dear Wewillbeatthis,
I am sorry to hear that you are going through such a stressful time.
My doctor always tells me that I have to remember that just because I have ALS does not mean that I could not also have something else wrong with me, not related to ALS. This could be your dad's case. Maybe an inner ear infection?
If I was you, and the dizzyness and whatever comes back, I would take him to the ER,
and, even if the dizziness does not come back, I would take him to his family doctor as soon as you can, for your peace of mind as well as his.
I know it is hard to make decisions in these circumstances, but it is better to be safe. It does not sound like pneumonia to me, but then I am not a doctor!
I will be thinking about you and your Dad, and pray that things might get settled down for you. Take a deep breath and remember that your family here at the forum are behind you.
Hugz and prayers,
Leah

I'm posting just because I want you to know I care, as I'm sure the others that have viewed your post do. I would only say follow your gut. I've been very insecure on many events that have happened this past year with LB. I have not taken him to the ER but I have called the doctor's office plenty and got their advice.

Let us know what happens.

terri

I had a bout of positional vertigo several years ago when I was in the midst of a bad sinus infection. Having never experienced anything like that before I thought it was a medical emergency and I called my doctor in a panic. To my surprise, the PA was not even particularly interested in my symptoms, told me vertigo was very common, it could last as long as months (it lasted about 5 weeks as I recall) and prescribed something for nausea and an antibiotic for the sinus infection. I assume there were some instructions for me if things changed or got worse, but I've learned that, at least for a woman in her 40's, vertigo is not an uncommon occurance (my hairdresser knew exactly what to do when she shampooed me--said she'd had a number of clients with the problem). Anyway--I'd call your dad's ALS doc and his GP just to make sure, but my bet is that unless he has other symptoms, they won't believe his vertigo is evidence of any more serious problem.

The ginger ale making him feel better makes me think he needs his blood sugar checked. Might be something else but in us older guys adult onset or type 2 diabetes is something that can crop up.

Hello everyone and thank you so much for the replies...

I am so happy to report that dad had a much better evening and today woke up with a great deal of energy and feeling 98%... No lightheaded feeling or anything. So I am going to chalk this one up to normal life life and remember Granny's words just cause someone has ALS it does not mean that everything that happens is related.

Dad could have had a 24 hr bug, just had a bad night sleep and was tired, the pill could have been the cause, or he was dehydrated, hey it even could have been anxiety. Whatever it was it is gone and he is doing great...

Thanks again and always know that you are all in my thoughts in prayers... Wewillbeatthis...

Jen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back