Diagnosis
07/2007
Country
US
State
California
City
Oceanside
I am looking for a simple in home alert or notification device for my Dad. My Dad is in late stage of ALS. He cannot move any his extremities, arms, hands, fingers, or legs, so push button type of device is not useful. He cannot talk or make loud enough sound. He could whisper in very faint voice for a couple of sentence. Since he wears BiPAP mask all the time, a microphone amplifier kind of device is not possible. He can move is his eyes. I am looking for a simple alter communication device that he could us to wake us up in the middle of night just in case he has any urgent needs. I searched the forum. However I couldn’t find similar device. Please help. Thanks,

DB

From your description it seems the only option would be something that can be activated by the eyes only. Is getting an eye gaze type of setup an option?

Al, thanks for the link! I went through Joel's three devices. None of them helps for my Dad's case, since he can no longer move his head anymore.

BrianD, thank you for your suggestion. Yes, something that can be activated by the eyes is the only option for this case. Is the eye gaze a part of speech system? Or it can be used alone? I am looking for a simple device can been used when the PALS sleep in bed at night.

Thanks,

DB

I know very little about the specifics of eye gaze/eye controlled communication devices. I know DynaVox is a leading brand, but there are others.
However I would not consider them "simple" devices... but it would restore a level of communication not just usable at night.

I will have to let other more knowledgeable members comment further. To be honest I don't know if it can be used for this exact during the night scenario or not.

I would also suggest you work with your local ALSA chapter to see if they have a eye gaze device they can loan you. Have you been working with them already?

I called our local ALSA chapter here. They don't have anything that meets my description.

Here is a link to a switch that can be activated by eye or facial movement. This might work for you.

Wireless switch

Thanks, Joel. Looks like that it might work with a mounting kit. I will look into it. BTW, do you happen to know if anyone tried it before? Thanks!

I don't know of anyone who has used one. I am sure it will work so please let us know if you get one.

hi , i was thinking of putting alarm system with blinking lights to let me no when the lights go out, but i guess my thinking was too latefor my husband, please try something, i will advocate all i have to make it a life support backup, the smallest things in life have a battery backup but for people with als it is not a concern like it should bethat the company takes into considersation , please be aware for i no god spared my husband the suffering to come, i would anything to have him back. i no im selfish he is at peace, i will pray everyday for you all love dottie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back