Help me understand disability benefits?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ACA limits the amount insurance companies can change under-65 disabled for Part B up to THREE TIMES the rate that people 65 and over pay. It was a concession. The current administration wanted to increase it up to FIVE TIMES but, fortunately, the plan to repeal and replace was blocked by the current House of Representatives.

Here is an example. I became disabled at the same time a good friend turned 65. We both had the same supplement which was the richest one. She paid $179 a month and I paid $530. In four years my premium has gone up to $600 a month.

Like it or not, this is a very political issue and 2020 will affect everyone with ALS, one way or another. It makes me wish I had stayed in public accounting and retired with more money. But hindsight is 20/20, right?

I hear ya, Kim! I'm in (was) in accounting as well. Right now, my primary is Medicare and secondary is Medical Mutual. Will be losing Medical Mutual and needed to know what you all recommended as a secondary. Medicare is crazy expensive and the deductible is a 'forget it!' issue! Do you only have Medicare Advantage?

~Christine

In Florida, Medicare Advantage plans are terrible. I have Florida Blue Plan G. It covers the 80% that Medicare Part B doesn't. It also covers up to 15% more if the provider doesn't accept Medicare. It also covers $50,000 out of the Country, if necessary. They did away with Plan F but the only difference between F and G is a very small deductible (less than $200 a year.) The premium for Plan G was more than enough lower than Plan F to cover the deductible and then some. I have a Part D drug plan that's just OK. I get one of my meds from Canada because it's cheaper at retail than my deductible here.....by a significant amount and that's for generic.

The problem in the US is that each state is different. In NY you can't charge more for a disabled person than someone 65 and over so the cost is spread out among everyone with a Medicare supplement. Had I lived in NY, instead of paying $600, I'd be paying about $300 for my supplement.

if you are really in Ohio then I think your only under 65 option is going to be medicare Advantage. Ohio does not have guaranteed issue for under 65 medigap.

research the available plans very very very carefully for doctor / hospital networks and formularies. You may also have a sense of which plans are good generally for customer service if you have had them as a regular hmo

if you are really in Ohio then I think your only under 65 option is going to be medicare Advantage. Ohio does not have guaranteed issue for under 65 medigap.

research the available plans very very very carefully for doctor / hospital networks and formularies. You may also have a sense of which plans are good generally for customer service if you have had them as a regular hmo

Thanks, Nikki!
Yes, I'm in Ohio and started to make a call regarding Medicare Advantage. I couldn't get help at the time as the wait would be long. In the meantime, I made the mistake of going online and filling out a questionnaire - now I'm getting innundated with calls/e-mails I don't want. As you stated, I need to go sit with someone.

Thank you again!
~Christine

While you are waiting look at medicare. gov. There is a tool where you can see the plans for your county and enter in your meds to get an idea. the you can look at the plans websites to find out which ones take your doctors

I just talked with United Health Care (the company promoted by AARP.) The representative said in Ohio, disabled under 65 can still get a supplemental policy BUT they have to go through OSHIIP (Ohio Senior Health Insurance Information Program). Their number is 800-686-1578 or 614-644-2658.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back