Diagnosis
05/2017
Country
US
State
IA
City
Cedar Rapids
So, because of household income, I will not be eligible for SSDI.

I haven’t worked in the last 20 years - I’ve been homeschooling our kids, youngest is currently 5. I have twenty credits from 1990’s. However, none are from the past five years.

Does the ALS diagnosis override this? We knew previously (with my PLS diagnosis) that we were in trouble here. Our worry is needing Medicare eventually and no eligibility.

You mean you don’t qualify for ssi. That is the income one. And I am sorry without credits you don’t qualify for ssdi or medicare. It stinks. Same thing happened to my sister. it is brutal and awful

I was also not eligible for SSDI benefits since I worked as a teacher and paid into a state teacher's retirement plan. However, I applied to Social Security and was approved for Medicare with a 5 month waiting period once I no longer had earned income. The normal waiting period is 2 years for a regular disability diagnosis but ALS is a compassionate care case and shortens the Medicare waiting period.

Contact your local SS administration office and go online to begin the online application process. It is a laborious process requiring medical documentation and doctor appointment details. Have someone help if you have difficulties with computer usage.

I think Cathy that you paid into medicare even though not social security which is why you got it. I had a government job briefly and that was how it worked I hope I am wrong but that is what happened to my sister

Yes I did. I didn't realize that's why I was granted Medicare. I guess sometime in the late 1980s all state teachers had to start paying Medicare but older teachers did not have to.

It’s not fair because without the ssdi, you don’t get the Medicare either. It’s weird how the work credits thing works. Before giving up, I’d recommend checking with a lawyer who specializes in disability, just to see if there are any ways around this.

You mean you don’t qualify for ssi. That is the income one. And I am sorry without credits you don’t qualify for ssdi or medicare. It stinks. Same thing happened to my sister. it is brutal and awful

Hello, everyone! I'm 'lucky' enough to say that I qualify for SS and Disability. What are 'credits'?
Thank you and my apologies for my ignorance on the subject!
~Christine

When you work a job that contributes to social security you earn credits up to 4 a year. They are based on how much you earn so a highpaying job could earn 4 credits in the beginning of the year. It is based on age how many are required for disability. If you are 30 it is fewer than if you are 60 For example. The most you need at any age are 40 total but 20 have to be in the last ten years so you have to have worked 5 or the last ten years

If there is not an authoritative briefing paper or website blog addressing this issue, we certainly need it. No one should be without coverage facing this disease.

There is a topic in resources on applying for ssdi if that is what you mean. The ssa site has information too.

I agree that everyone should have insurance ( and financial support) when facing catastrophic illness if that is your point. . This is not the reality in the US at this time. As I stated above my sister was denied ssdi and medicare because lacked current work credits. This despite the fact that she worked from age 15 until the birth of her child 20 plus years later. She had other options and was ok. Others in the history of this forum have not been so fortunate. Ultimately when you have blown through all your assets there will be ssi and medicaid. The OP will hopefully find something better

In some cases, the "Social Security Disability Compassionate Allowances Program" can help.

Anybody more familiar with that program? Nikki?

(Edit. Ok, it's not the help I thought it might be. It only makes the process go quicker. Sorry.)

As Karen recommended.... consider a lawyer who specializes disability claaims.

Last edited:
All that does is fast track your application and get people who have the right credits benefits after 5 months including medicare. Important yes but not helpful if you don’t qualify

Just a reminder.to all....

Right below the title bar.General discussion about ALS/MND
there is a Sub Forums click on..... there is a very informative SSDI thread posted
by Azgirl.

(Click on "Resources".)

I can't imagine facing this without having adequate coverage. I am one of the lucky ones, I was a government employee for over 30 years so when I retired I took my health insurance with me. I applied for SSID and bringing in documentation from neurologist and copies of EMG, medication prescribed and all office visit notes I was approved for benefits within 2 weeks. I had to wait 5 months of being disabled for Medicare to kick in. My Medicare started on the 1st of this month putting my health insurance as the secondary payee. I'm curious how this will all work, I'm not scheduled for a doctor visit until the end of December.

Meant SSDI benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back