Diagnosis
02/2022
Country
US
State
CA
City
San Andreas
Hi my husband had his peg placed yesterday afternoon.
Hospital sent us home with the wrong syringes to fit his port. I went to do a flush as instructed and the tip on the syringe would not fit the port.

His port has inside threads. I had a crying fit, then threw on 2 n95's and went to the ER with pictures of his port. They gave me a syringe with a catheter tip.

I think if I am super careful I can get it to work. My question is if it doesn't can a never used tube go without flushing until tuesday? So lovely to happen on a Friday night, before a holiday weekend. I am so worried I'm almost sick.

you should be able to get syringes to fit from a local pharmacy? take the photo with you.
You really need to flush it regularly, don't skip that.

No vna referral? Just sent you home with no training or support? Shame on them. I am pretty sure what you need is a enfit tip syringe. Did the one you were given say luer tip? That won’t work. Several years ago there was a change in feeding tube design and the connection has to use syringes designed only for feeding tubes. It is shocking that the people putting in feeding tubes didn’t know this. Call a medical supply store. I have found the one in my area incredibly helpful and knowledgeable. Failing that call the hospital and insist on speaking to the nursing supervisor. Explain super nicely ( it wasn’t the supervisor’s fault) and play the my husband has ALS card and I am desperate. The hospital must have the right syringes there and they should give you what you should have got yesterday. If it were a weekday you would call the unit that did the procedure but I think they are closed

I to am surprised that there was no vna referral. When I had my peg placement I was instructed on how to use it in recovery. Then I had vna at my home the next day. They came 3x's a week to make sure I was comfortable cleaning the area, flushing the tube and could do a feeding on my own. If you have an enfit connection there is an item called a Bolink dream cap that can be found on Amazon. One end fits onto the meal replacement container and the other end attaches to the endfit connection of the tube. It adds convenience for a feeding. I hope this helps alittle.

Thank you all for responding. No they didn't set me up with anyone.

The connection is Enfit and they gave us luer lock. Instructions in a packet.

The syringe I managed to get, worked but I am having to just barely put it over the inside part, and be extremely careful. I was able to put 50ml through. I am very upset with how this has transpired.

I ordered the right syringes and they will be here Tues. Thank goodness he can still eat pureed food by mouth. My biggest worry now is all he wants to do since surgery is sleep. I have to force him to have soup and yogurt. He did have some ice cream.
I'm literally a wreck.

Being fatigued is likely normal. minor procedure yes but PALS don’t have much reserve. A fair amount of pain would npt be abnormal either

I encourage you to report this from the perspective of please educate your staff so this does not happen to anyone else

When my tube was placed the als sent a nurse to our house 3 times a week until we were comfortable in using the tube
Al

When my wife had her tube installed i didnt really recieve any training either,they had her on a pump in the hospital,so i had to figure out how the bags worked,height to hang them ,how to open and close the valve so i didnt make a huge mess on her bed,how to mix the medications and also flushing. In the hospital they let me do one medication, so like you i was a little overwhelmed. But it will be alright. The tube is a wonderful thing,no more choking,and giving the meds is a breeze! So to address the actual problem your having, the catheter tip should work. If your tube is like my wifes it actually has a catheter adapter in the end of the tube that his enfit adapter screws into,and when you get the correct syringe it will screw into that. both pieces can be removed,i dont know what supplies they sent you home with,but if they gave you feeding bags the catheter tip adapter should be on the end of the feeding bag tube,it is the same as the one in the end of the tube coming out of your husband and it does come out,so you can use the catheter tip syringe to flush,not the best way,but it should work,keep the end of his tube elevated above him,if you have a way to clamp the tube that would be great because fluid does come out if the tube is below his stomach level. I know that 20ml will clear the tube,no need for 50,you can actually watch the tube clear itself from the flush while your doing it,when your done,just stick the valve and catheter tip adapter back in the peg tube to seal it up. My wife has a lopez valve screwed onto her tube,it has 2 ports on it so i can feed her and give meds at the same time,yours may be the same,it took a few feedings to become comfortable ,you'll be a pro in no time

Attachments

• 16569427557441331505786052795411.jpg
    16569427557441331505786052795411.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 88
  • 16569428880661090750134045435972.jpg
    16569428880661090750134045435972.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 87
  • 1656942915509848096161686568024.jpg
    1656942915509848096161686568024.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 83
So sorry you had to go through this. Glad your husband can eat puréed food. Unfortunately this happens way too often. I have a Y port. Large and small opening. I was sent home with cone tip syring that didn’t stay in. Ended up taping for many months. Finally got GI doctor to find/give me syringe tube with twist in bottom for smalle side port.Thankfully they work well He said never saw anything like my problem. The type of plastic on feed tube and syring are not compatible. If I use syringe with blue tip to push flush it still has to be held together. I can’t feed myself anymore so my aid or daughter knows how. I’m nothing by mouth. If he can take glucerna which has less sugar as a room temp soup that will give him calories as well. What formula is he taking? I use liquid Hope formula. Unfortunately even hospitals and rehab facilities don’t know how this works. I would definitely send correspondence about this. Best to you and your husband.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back