Diagnosis
06/2015
Country
CA
State
BC
City
Vancouver
Last time it was an insect, this time it's a flower. I've tried online image search, used the Plantnet app (Shazam for plants- it's wonderful!) and asked a few friends, to no avail.

An amazing flower has shown up in my patio garden. It is about 3 1/2" across and the flower stands about 11" high. It is scentless. I did not plant it. Current theory is it's come for the cat (admittedly slow moving and has lots of meat on his bones) and is waiting for cover of dark to catch and eat him.

You folks are smart and experienced- what is this?

Attachments

• Lily.jpg
    Lily.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 220
That appears to be EXACTLY what it is. Thank you so much! It is a truly spectacular and unexpected addition to the garden.

Now the mystery is in how it got here. My patio garden is one floor above street level and not accessible to anyone other than my husband, teenaged offspring, my cat or my dogs. Unless someone stood in the alley below and has an excellent throwing arm, there is no explanation.

Nice, Annabelle! Even though this is in the Iris family, the petals bear a superficial resemblance to Trillium.

As to how it got in your garden, Shiftkicker, that is indeed a mystery since Irises are bulbs. However, they also have seeds, and perhaps the wind blew in some seeds at an opportune moment, or they were brought into your garden by a critter. It may have also been brought in by invisible aliens who are coming for your cat. :evil:

Karen, general consensus seems to be the alien route. Whether the flower is, indeed, an actual flower, or an alien in disguise to lull us into a false sense of security, remains to be seen.

All jokes aside, it's an incredibly beautiful, completely unexpected gift that hopefully continues to propagate itself in seasons to come.

This thread is an incredibly beautiful, completely unexpected gift that hopefully continues to propagate itself in seasons to come.

Thank you for sharing your special gift from nature. She offers us such lovely surprises. May everyone discover something beautiful today to lift their spirit. May blessings abound B.

Attachments

• The Lily.jpg
    The Lily.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 163
Birds spread seeds.

I thought about poop right away but liked the cat killer idea better.

Oh come on Mike, surely a dragon spread this one, birds are too easy and common for such a lovely gift :lol:

Dragons are everywhere, and the cat might have attracted them.

OK, you got me. I climbed up to your patio in my spiderman outfit and planted it. Ace was with me and he fertilized it.

Attachments

• Picture 52.jpg
    Picture 52.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 185
I KNEW IT. Next time knock on the window and we'll have tea. It'll have to be iced, as it is ferociously hot here (for these parts) right now. And Ace is welcome to play with the cat and/or dogs. We have toys and crackers!

**Mike, logic dictates yours is the answer, but I like the dragons and Spiderman theory better.

well I'm pretty sure it wasn't a koala :lol:

Oh Kim, you win, spiderman beats dragon in this round. That photo is just too awesome for words! I'm happy if the dragons want to come visit here, I've always, since earliest childhood, wanted to ride a dragon :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back