Diagnosis
01/2010
Country
US
State
IL
City
Divernon
This may silly but I need to know from others like us if having a benefit to raise money for mom who was diagnosed with onset ALS on Jan. 4, 2010, I believe the website refers to it as Progressive Bulbar Palsy ALS.

At that point she was just really weak but was still able to eat, talk and walk some. In March her ALS doctor explained that she was at a point where her breathing and swallowing were a real concern and advised her that it was time make the decision in regards to going on a ventilator and have the g-tube put in. He also explained with the vent and g-tube she would live about a year and without 3 months. So on March 18, 2010 she was placed on both.

She had been living on her own in West Virginia up until Nov. of last year when she went to go stay with (and now living at) my sister in St. Louis, MO., because she was getting worse and we didn’t know why. My sister has 5 great kids and an awesome husband (who all help when they can).

Now just after 5 months later she is not able to walk at all or talk. I know most of you already know what type and how much money it coasts just for the basic medical supplies and equipment and now she’s at the point that we have to get a lift installed, she just got her retro fitted wheelchair 2 days ago and as of right now we to rent a transport van for $100.00 to be able to take her to the doctor.

I live in Springfield, IL. Which is only about 2 hours from my sister’s in St. Louis, MO. And until we get the lift it’s really takes 2 people to take care of our mom. My sister is her main caregiver and is pretty much on her own with mom from Sunday evenings to Wednesday nights, because that’s when I get there. I currently work Monday, Tuesday and Wednesdays and then drive to my sisters to help till Sunday evening when I drive home to be at work on Monday.

We did just get 1 person hire (collage friend of my nieces) who can work for at fours a few times a week and Friday we have another interview with a woman that was referred to us by our coordinator from our local St. Louis ALS chapter.

The money we do have at this time. Mom does receive SS income of about $600.00 a month, she is on Medicare. She did sell her truck and got $20,000 (being used currently to pay for the girl we just hired as well as the other one we hire) it and that was her only asset expect for her house in West Virginia, which she is still making the house payment which is about $400.00 I think. he house is very old and deep in the country and we do have step sister living there that was mooching off my mom until my sister here and I put a stop to it.

My family is going to be raising money and participating in the Walk to Defeat ALS June 19th and June 26th. Then July 24th we have just started planning a benefit to raise money from mom personally. The money raised would be kept in its own account that will we are to make sure good records of where the money has been spent. We are wanting to use the money specify to help for her in home health nurse, van rental (so we could afford to rent it for fun not just doc. Appt.) out of pocket medical bills and there be an stipulation upon opening of the account stating that when she passes away then any money in account must be sent to the St. Louis Chapter of the ALS Association.

Ok, here’s my question. Is it ok to have benefit to raise money for my mom even though she still hasn’t liquidated her home?
Someone said they didn’t think was right since she still has a asset that has yet to be sold.

I the know I might not have to go into such great detail but I wanted to make sure people had all the information before giving your opinion because the opinion of the people on this website is very important to because all of you know what we’re going through and is you don’t think it’s right then be honest and why.

I have seen families and friends of families set up bank accounts for donations just days or weeks after someone is involved in a car accident, etc or a variety of other needs, including ALS. The intent is to help the person with medical bills and to possibly prevent them from liquidating all their assets or losing their home. I don't think it would be wrong to have a fund raiser for your Mom. The stipulation to go to the ALS Association at her passing should further satisfy some donors.

Just my two cents. Good Luck.

thanks, it was only one person but i am new to all this and i was just wanted to help my mom

I don't see any ethical issue at all with fund raising for your mom even though she still has her house as an asset. The only thing you might come up against is that donations that people make will not be tax deductible (as I am in Canada this is an assumption on my part) but regardless, there are a lot of fund raisers here to raise money for individuals. Like Dana said, any funds raised or equipment purchased should be donated when your mom not longer needs them.

Good luck!

It is done in our community frequently to help cancer patients or brain injured patients. I see no ethical conflict as long as your family agrees to donate the equipment and not sell it. Good Luck!

I am hosting a series of summer lawn concerts at my Ranch beginning on the 6th of June with any proceeds after expenses going to ALS Guardian Angels. The local paper ran a story about me and the disease and my desire to bring the community together to help others who may need equipment. There are so many organizations that raise money for research but those of us who need help now are often left to deplete our resources or go without those items that add to the quality of our lives. Wish me luck... I am but one person wanting to help many. :) Diane

INdeed, good luck, Diane. WOnderful idea nad I am sure it will be a brilliant success.

Re the original question, if your mother were still living at home the question would not arise. She has a right to be helped

Have the benefit! What would ”some people“ expect. For her to become financially ruined first, only adding to her problems. Then trying to get back on her feet only AFTER a benefit. They don't have to go if this is what they think. Good Luck.

Our families through one for my wife and it was a great success. What a relief not to have to worry about every penny. Now we can just worry about every 2nd penny.

BTW all, I am new to posting here. I have been reading a lot of the post foe a long time and I like it here. Luck and Blessings to you all

duffy

Check out GiveForward.org. It is a great way to set up giving. Quick and easy. You can donate by projects, a specific piece of equipment or just to a general fund. We have a swimming pool at the house, but no way for my husband to use it. A friend set this up and within 12 hours, 75% of the funds for a lift were in the account. People's generosity is amazing. Our cup runneth over.

You may want to check with the laws in the state that you intend to have the fund raiser just to verify facts. As others have said, these types of fund raisers occur all the time so they shouldn't present an issue. Good luck and keep us posted.

Oh my gosh...the idea is to protect what assets you have to help your Mom as long as possible. Anyone that would suggest otherwise has never been faced with a health issue..especially a costly health issue. Our dear friends are having a fundraiser for our family this summer. The last two years the money has been donated to the ALS Association. This year the money is going to be donated to our family. I am so thankful for this generosity. Although we are still soooo fortunate. WE have not had to sell our house..can still pay our mortgage etc. However, our medical costs are seriously draining our financial security. The donations that receive allow us to keep as much "normalcy" for our family as possible while battling this crappy disease. I am thankful every day for how kind people have been to us. So, I think it is a great idea to have a fundraiser to help your family. It takes a village to care for a family dealing with ALS. Keep us posted.

Go for it I don't see any thing wrong with a fund raiser.when my son was dying with cancer we had a fundraiser,He didn't live long enough to see it & some of the money we raised had to be used to pay for part of the funeral & his medical expenses .God Bless & best wishes
Sharon

The fundraiser is not unethical as I see it - as long as the funds are used for what the people donating are told they will be used for. And you need to check with a CPA or Tax Attorney to be sure that you follow all applicable tax laws. The only time I've seen things like this be a problem is when someone uses the funds to go to Vegas instead of using the money on the patient :) Otherwise, it seems like it would be a good thing.

there is nothing wrong with this go for it .. i am going to have one for my son as well ,

I see nothing wrong with it at all. As a matter of fact keep us posted on the details. I live just 20 south of St. Louis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back