Other
Country
US
State
Texas
City
Dallas
Hello,

I posted on here about 8 months ago...please see the link below. To summarize, I got an EMG/NCV done when I was living abroad in China and I never really got a good understanding of what these results meant (abnormal). I know that no one here is a doctor, but any feedback on these results would be appreciated. My symptoms have not subsided and my follow up with a neurologist is a ways away...

I attached the results to this thread (screenshot).

Regards,
Nick

https://www.alsforums.com/forum/do-i-have-als-als/31462-advice-appreciated.html

Attachments

• EMG.jpg
    EMG.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 2,663
Welcome. What makes you think you might have ALS? Your old thread and this EMG summary report (and your doctor) didn't say you had ALS. Is there something else going on?

So how did you like China? Where were you?

Mike,

There is nothing specifically, other than my continuing symptoms and some newfound weak feelings in my right foot. I am having a hard time understanding what is being communicated with these results, and I probably didn't do a very good job asking follow up questions.

China was amazing and my wife and I wouldn't have traded the experience for anything. We were located in Shanghai. However, it does feel good to be home in the States.

Regards,
Nick

Nick, that is not a very specific report but the fact that both motor and sensory nerve deficits are noted points away from ALS. Since you have possibly demyelinating lesions on MRI, it would seem that MS, among other things, should be ruled out.

Unless the Chinese center is highly reputable and you have the tracings/film, a US center will likely want to repeat the tests should you seek a consultation. If you're in Dallas, UTSW and Baylor would both be options.

Best,
Laurie

Laurie,

Are you able to decipher what the EMG results mean? I'm not sure what signals the result as being abnormal - meaning what are they seeing here that makes it abnormal?

I think the NCV results are pretty self explanatory.

Regards,
Nick

Last edited:
Laurel,

Thanks. That is good information. However, I think it just confused me more.

I think what confuses me the most from all this is the diagnosis I received of myokymia. Does that even make sense?

Regards,
Nick

Myokymia is a catch-all for spontaneous activity on EMG/involuntary muscle movement during activity, caused by several disorders, can be completely benign, may reverse itself and is also associated with a history of radiotherapy. It is rare to have a sensory component to it so I would somewhat question the use of that term.

Get a 2nd opinion -- we can't litigate this here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back