Diagnosis
05/2007
Country
Uni
State
Ohio
City
Middleburg Heights
We have to decide on a new mattress for my husband. The medical supply co. is offering two choices that insurance will pay for...they won't pay for what I want of course. the choices they have given us are a low pressure mattress or a gel mattress. They will only pay for a "good" one if you have stage II bedsores. I thought the purpose was to prevent bedsores? Something is not right with our priorities. Can anyone suggest the best one for comfort. He currently has an alternating pressure topper which they rent to us and it is antique and does nothing for Ed now. Could use some suggestions. Thanks, Bev

There was a very informative link some time ago about this very subject. I will see if I can find it for you and post the link to it.

Here is the one I have. PressureGuard cft

Pros - very comfortable, air pressure can be regulated, and it stays warm, without causing me to sweat.

Cons - you move in it like a water bed.

Glen

Glen.. that's actually very good to know.. having trouble getting my Glen to give up his water bed, so maybe this'll help convince him!

I also put a SuperPole (stripper pole) beside the bed to aid of getting into or getting out of the bed.
I have not been able to get Wanda to give the pole a spin ;)

Glen

Wanda, is that too much to ask? Poor Glen, a sick man and you won't give him a littl bit of pleasure? Heeheehee

My mom has an air mattress (that fits on a hospital bed) that we borrowed from the ALS loner closet. I could try to find out the make/model when I go over to her house. It seems to be ok, of course I'm not laying in it all day... ;p.

As far as what they will pay for i dont have a clue which is the best, however my wife sleeps on a sleep by numbers bed and it is the best for her because it adjusts for leg comfort and thoracic comfort as well. It also has a massager that keeps all the blood flowing shes been in this bed now for 5 years and hasnt had a sore yet. but she is out of bed during the day and in her chair so im sure that is a huge factor also. sleep by numbers has the adjustable air matress inside so different levels of firmness at different times provides her with the most comfort that we believe we could attain.

We just purchased a new bead last Sept. We looked at Sleep Number and Tempurpedic and went with Sleep Number. Though Mike likes the bed on 100! I've tried to get him to lower the settting and try it out but he won't. I also then put a 3 - 4" memory foam topper on it and he had a harder time moving around so that came off.

While I adore my tempurpedic bed, I wouldn't recommend it for PALS as yes, it can be hard to move around in.

i had a sleep number bed my favorit because different days my body would feel different so all i had to do was change the number i miss my old bed...i have a tempurpedic 4 inch on top of my very hard bed , now it is comfortable and i agree hard to move in ( thought it was because i put on more weight lol )

i have a sleep number, but need to get the adjustable 'cause the arms just aren't going to get me up much longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back