Diagnosis
08/2010
Country
US
State
XX
City
where it's green
My brother is sick in another state, ALS not diagnosed yet. He's in a nursing home because of muscle weakness and neuropathy, etc. He's lined up to get further testing. I want to get him out of there and move him to my state. Especially now while he can still talk and breathe. His public aid and SSD is still pending. Problem is, to wait until it all goes thru and then apply for a transfer and wait for that to be approved and for a place (Nursing Home) to accept him could be "too late," possibly. I have read it takes time. I don't even know if I can move him now - I think so, but if he is too much worse off, it would be more difficult. So, if I can get him to my state, we can apply for medical right away. Problem is, I could not bring him home. Stairs, and I'm not physically able to lift him. It would have to be right to a hospital. He is 24 hour care. If I take him to a hospital, don't they have to take him in? And from there, they could place him in a nursing home, which is what happened in the state he is currently in? Then, I could help him more because he'd be nearby and he'd be with family. I'm worried what I would say if I show up at the hospital with him, and he has just arrived in town. I mean, "hi, I've moved him here, can you take him?" seems pretty strange. :confused:

Theoretically, if you show up at the emergency room, if there's nothing "emergent" then they would just discharge him back into your care. "just" being dependent physically would not qualify him for hospitalization. He'd need to have something acute happening (fever, a fall, chest pains...)

I'm sorry you are in this predicament. Have you checked to see if the facility he is in currently has a 'sister' facility in your community? (ie Catholic Home, Heartland communities, etc)

Peace and strength to you both!

A medical professional I spoke with indicated I could take him to the hospital and tell them he
needed immediate attention. Weakness and all that. Plus, he will be having his thyroid
removed as well, and if I move him 2 weeks after that, he will need attention then for the
medication.

:confused::confused:

I don't think this is something we should be discussing on the forum. It is deceitful and dishonest.

Well, they will have access to his medical records, so it doesn't matter! They will know ALL about his condition! Even though they ask you a million questions about what meds he is taking, what past injuries he's had, if he's been diagnosed with anything...yada, yada, yada...they will find out anyway. It's in a national database. Believe me, I know!

I would call around to facilities to see who could house him! Have you talked to his doctor or the staff at the nursing home he currently is residing in? Perhaps they would have suggestions!

I'm sorry if you feel I am being deceitful and dishonest. I'm not planning to deceive anyone. I just don't know if I need to explain the whole 9 yards or what. Of course they will ask questions, and of course I would answer them truthfully. I just don't know how to go about
taking someone to the hospital that I have just moved there. I guess the best answer is to
call a hospital and ask THEM.

Sorry I came here, I won't darken your door again.

May God bless you for caring about your brother. I wish I had you in my corner.

Try to ignore the insults. Believe me, I know it is difficult.

I would investigate nursing homes in your area with making sure they could meet his needs. Explain to them the circumstances and your need to move him closer to family. They should be able to direct you in the correct course of action to be take. Take your time and do it the right way so it works out well. Get a power of attorney so you can speak on his behalf.

I would investigate nursing homes in your area with making sure they could meet his needs. Explain to them the circumstances and your need to move him closer to family. They should be able to direct you in the correct course of action to be take. Take your time and do it the right way so it works out well. Get a power of attorney so you can speak on his behalf.

That is good, practical advice and it got me to thinking... The ALSA or MDA may have a social worker who can offer help with the specifics in your state. Some states have extra help for people in dire need. I know of someone who is very ill who moved from CA to OR before Medicare and Medicaid decisions had been made because she would have family support in OR. There was a ton of paperwork, but it was doable.

ccjjcc... we must have grace for each other... and a soft heart and a tough hide. Pull together everyone.

You're right. I just get kind of sensitive. I'm not trying to put one over on anyone,
I just am worried that I'll get my brother out here, have him in my car, and they won't
let me bring him into the hospital. As in, well, you got him out here, too bad. And then
I will have made things worse for him, not better, and I don't know what I'll do. So, I
guess I need to find out what the hospitals will say if I arrive there with him.

There is also a support group here I thihk I'll go to this week. Maybe they will know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back