Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
Tx
City
Beaumont
Ive been told that my dad could receive some help from the MDA. Does anyone know what type of help they provide? I called but unless my dad actually calls and registers with them they won't tell you anything and my dad won't call unless I can convince him they can help. :x

I am a member of the MDA and I had an apt last Thursday and they paid my co pay. I get regular emails from the local chapter and I was told they have a big warehouse with all kinds of medical equipment for when I need it. Go to the MDA website and find your local chapter and email them.

you can try this web site- mda.org*als.mda.org. i got this from the mda/als clinic at virginia commonwealth university mcv. hope it helps. it provides a lot of info.

They will help big time. They do require you to register. It is a very simple process. It does require some input from your Dad's neurologist. I found that took the most time--about a week. Here in Fargo the MDA has a lot of equipment that they loan out. I could prove to be a great help to both of you. Good luck,
Rick

On my first visit to the ALS/MDA clinic at OSU, I met with a rep from MDA. They will cover anything at the clinic that my insurance does not, they loan equipment, arrange for home help, help with disability paperwork, etc. Along with the ALS Center Ohio Chapter I feel that I will have lots of resources as my ALS progresses. Contact the closest MDA office in your city. They met with us at our home to make it easy. I'm sure they will help.

Good luck.

Is there a difference of contacting the local ALS Association chapter vs. MDA or are they the same

In our area, the MDA funds our local ALS Clinic. Contact your local ALS Chapter. They sometimes will have a loan closet for durable medical equipment, such as Bipap and can loan the equipment out to you and all you have to get from a medical supply rental place is the actual mask or mouth tubing for the device. This can save you lots of money. Ours also had an oxygen concentrator sent to my sister's home from a rental place that they contract with and they covered the rental costs associated with the device as well. They also have some respite care funding available as well.

You have to register with them to get assistance.

ALS and MDA are not the same. Contact a local teaching hospital in your area or google ALS Clinics in your area. If they are funded by the MDA, like the ones in my area, any medical tests that my sister needed run (like the breathing tests) related to her ALS were covered first by her insurance, co-insurance (in her case Medicare and Medicare Supplement). Anything that was left over that was related to her ALS, MDA covered it. because they fund the ALS Clinic there.

Is there a difference of contacting the local ALS Association chapter vs. MDA or are they the same

Two different organizations. As the unicorn noted.
At times they seem to be working together at others they are competing for funding and your donations. The MDA has about 40 clinics dedicated to ALS.

Back in 1950 & 60's Lou Gehrig wife Eleanor, served as MDA's national campaign chairman.

I'm not sure when ALSA was started. Something to add to my research list.

BOB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back