Status
Not open for further replies.

nic01

My mom has ALS, and my dad is having such a hard time. He has always held his feelings in, been a very rational and unemotional person. I've never doubted his love, but I could never talk to him. Now he's tense all the time, sleeps a lot, and we can feel the tension in the house. Sometimes mom and I worry about him more than her. He did let it out one night, mom said he held her and cried and cried. For a few days we was better, but know he's back to the way he was. I don't know what to do. I feel like I never to enough to help him with mom, though I try to take care of her during the day til I go to bed. We've got a lift for her but her refuses to use it, so I can't take her to the bathroom or put her to bed because he lifts her and I can't, I'm not strong enough. I just don't know what to do for him. I pray, and I hope that will help. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm so stressed for him and mom. Thank you for listening.
Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,

This is a hard battle. I'm not having to do the lifting like your dad is having to do yet so I don't have many suggestions there. I could not tell by your post if you are an adult or still in school. If you are still in school, you may have to ask your dad how is the best way you can help them. If you are an adult, maybe you can just make sure your dad can get away a couple of hours each day. For me, just a walk around the block helps a bunch. I believe God hears your prayers. Take care of yourself.

Hi Jennifer,
If I remember correctly from previous posts, you are the one who does most of the care giving for your Mom, so not only is this hard on your Dad it must be very hard on you all as a Family unit. I know our ALS clinic has a social worker( Therapist )who automaticly contacted my mom after her diagnosis, to see if she wanted to talk about how she was dealing with it all. She also said she was avaliable for our whole family if anyone need to talk. You may want to see if your ALS clinic has any therapists who may have experience with ALS. It's worth a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back