Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
NY
City
Smithville
I'm a 31 yr old female and have been experiencing troubling symptoms. I had a shingles outbreak in early April around that time I noticed a tingling in my lower back. It went away as did the shingles and I didn't think anything else about it. I have lost around 25 pounds over 9 9 months or so. A month ago my arms starting to feel heavy as did my legs. A few days later my calf became very stiff feeling and I noticed a popping sensation. The next day it spread to my arms,chest and knees. I have been having constant muscle twitching that I can see and feel in both calves and arms. The twitching/spasming is 24/7. A few days ago I noticed my last two toes on are trying to curl under. I am very scared this is als.

Beach, I have good news. Your description isn't ALS at all.
In ALS, muscles don't feel heavy or stiff or popping. They simply don't contract, with no feeling of weakness.
ALS doesn't spread rapidly throughout your body. ALS destroys one muscle at a time, moving up the body (or down) in serial fashion, over months and years.
Twitching is so common that it isn't diagnostic of anything at all.
Good luck with your doctor. You might want to ask yourself if anxiety or stress is affecting you. Don't sweat ALS.

It does not sound like ALS to me. It certainly could be post viral especially with the history of shingles. The herpes zoster ( shingles) virus affects the nerves in your body to start with and can have some weird aftereffects. What does your doctor say?

Thank you for your replies. That certainly reassures me some. I think it may have to do with anxiety and stress, however when I was reading ALS symptoms it just frightened me some. The doctor has not really been able to tell me much and they tested my reflex and said it was fine, so that is why I was more concerned. I will try to look more into managing my anxiety and stress levels. Thanks!

Don't ever read about ALS. There's nothing you can do about it, you just scare yourself silly, and the chances of you getting it at any time in your life are very low.

The muscle twitching will come after you already know something is terribly wrong and is getting worse. You won't "feel" weak, you will not be able to do the things you used to. As in, "Hey, I can't lift my arm to comb my hair any more," kind of weakness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back