Diagnosis
09/2009
Country
US
State
Wa.
City
Puyallup
Sorry guys, I just had no where else to turn. Its almost 3am, and for some reason both of our toilets flooded, the bathtub filled up and when the washing machine was going it made them over flow even worse! My husband passed away 2 years ago, I know he would know what to do, but I dont have a clue! I cannot afford a plumber AT ALL! I have shut off all the toilets and turned off the washer. My daughter is sick and needs the toilet upstairs at least, and that one didnt flood, but I am afraid to flush it. The new carpet is soaked! All the way into my walk in closet! Every towel we own is now in the dryer as we tried to soak up as much water as possible, so now I am waiting at 3am for it to dry. I have no idea what to do. Anyone here a plumber? Blubear needs a hug!

Kari, how awful! Well...it could be several things but the first thing that comes to my mind is that you have a blockage in your main sewer line that connects the house to the public sewer. You are on a public system-right? Do you have trees growing around the sewer line? Oftentimes the roots will get inside the line and plug it up. The other cause could be that your outside water table is too high if you are on a septic tank system. If it is the water table there is not much to do-if you live in the country you pump it out. The only thing to do is to have someone snake out your line and PRAY that the blockage is on the city side. The lines will need to be snaked out. :[ I have had this same experience many times and it truly STINKS! It goes up into the tub when there is a blockage. The flooding is probably due to you using the washer. Sending you hugs and a scented soy candle! Kay marie

Oh Kay Marie, I am so happy to hear from a friend! We are on city sewer. It started a week ago with one of the toilets being plugged, well not flushing right. I just shut down that toilet and figured I would get a snake thingie when I get paid on wednesday and see if that worked. Then 2 nights ago the washing machine was going and then the one plugged toilet started to bubble like a witches cauldren! Whaaa? But it didnt over flow. Do you think that I should still go and get that snake thingie I have heard about and see if the blockage is with that one toilet and has effected the plumbing downstairs? It doesnt smell, THANK GOD! But, its not the cleanest looking water either. Dear Lord, MY CARPET! THANK YOU FOR ANSWERING ME, I DONT FEEL SO ALONE!
BIG HUGS,
KARI

Any possibility that something was flushed that shouldn't have been flushed? Have you tried to plunge the toilets? I guess that is where I would begin-plunge toilets! Plunge the sinks and plunge the tubs! See if you can unblock it with plunging. You can rent a snake from most rental equipment places. Do you really want to do it-don't you have someone that can do it for you? You have to go to the sewer clean out line and it is nasty! yuck phew Buy some cheap bleach and bleach whatever you can. Wetvac is needed to suck up the water in the carpet-then do a carpet cleaning-run a dehumidifier and fans to dry it out. Not fun but you do not want to ruin the floor, carpet, wood or run the risk of growing mold. I am so sorry. :[ [[[[hugs]]]]

Kari, my parents toilet did this just before Christmas and it turned out that something had been dropped in the toilet by one of my dad's caregivers. It was a rubber glove I think and it made their toilet overflow. It is such a chore especially at a time when you really don't need to heap anything on to your already full plate. I am so sorry that this happened to you... I so wish I could help! I totally sympathize...

((((((((BIG BIG HUG)))))))))

Kari I know nothing about toilets overflowing, etc. What a horrific mess! I just wanted to send you a hug that you requested. ((((hugs)))).

had the same thing happen to me over the summer if it is affecting all the toilets and water suuply, it is probably the main line in your backyard that needs to be cleaned out. Tree roots obstruct the flow of water to them. I know this is probably not what you want to hear but we had to call a plumber out, twice, the first time did not do the trick, it was guaranteed so I only had to pay once. I know there are some places that rent out that big rooter type thing, that might be cheaper if you have someone who can lift the thing and do it for you. I feel for you, this was an on going problem for over a week for us. I live in indiana and I think the cost to have it done was around 350.00 and we called roto-rooter. Hope this does not get you down, somehow things usually work out, big hugs, margaret

Oh Kari, crap.
Sorry kid. I believe you said you're on a public system, which means you don't have a septic tank, you said both floors, bathtubs and potties, were inoperable, which would indicate that your clog occurs somewhere before the fixture on the lowest level. If you are public, the inlet likely goes from a street connection to your home's basement. While those do get blocked, it's more likely that the block occurs somewhere on your side. I'm sorry I slept late this morning, so by now you've probably already received help or correct the problem. You might get lucky trying to plunge or snake from inside your house. Try plunging first. If plunging doesn't work, you might try a device called a closet auger. It is a 4 foot tube with a short snake inside of it. The curved end of this tube(it looks like a partially formed cane), is inserted deep into the trap of the toilet, and then snake is pushed through the serpentine trap. If there is a toilet clog, that is where it occurs.
Now, don't be insulted, if you have never done this before it can be quite a lot. If I were 100 miles or less from you I would already be on the road(easy for me to say cause I have to have my wife do this stuff as I can't do it anymore). What I'm saying is, do you know a nice handyman or plumber who would help out. Your original post indicated that was not the case. However, that was 3 AM. The other advice you were given is very valid as well. An overall maintenance of your system(snake) is likely called for. I am so sorry, as you can see, we've been there. Please post back orIM and let us know how you're doing.

Bluebear I am so sorry to hear that this is occuring, I had the same problem last year with a mobile home I rented to a little 84 year old lady. She poured grease down the sink and always used draino liquid plumber type stuff to keep the drain moving. We rented a snake but could not correct the problem ourselves. Well the end results of her efforts cost $500.00 a plumber came out and ran a snake for 2.5 hours mind you the mobile home was 65 ft long. The end result was the draino/liquid plumber type stuff she used built up in the drain like concrete at the grease trap. You could try a drain opener only from a plumber they have the good stuff but only from a plumber! Snaking out the drain would be the best thing to do correct the real problem now or pay more later. I would also call the township where you live and find out if there is a problem with the sewer lines before doing anything see if your neighbors have problems.A handiman will be cheaper. An old school way of uncloging a toilet/line is to use a bucket of really hot water poured down the toilet. The force of the water will push the clog and the heat of the water will disolve it. It will take many buckets just wait for the water to go down if is does not then someone will need to come.
I am sorry I can't be of more help:( Judy

Holy moly!

Please, I know your first instinct is to try and fix it, again and again.. don't. Save youself the time and aggravation

No more home remedies

Break down and get a professional

Oh you guys brought tears to my eyes with all your support and hugs! Truly! I am going to try the snake thingie. Jay said getting an closet auger? Is that the snake thingie? Plunging doesnt work. I can rent one someone said? Where? Now you say that it is a big job? Heavy? I dont have ALS, (its my dad) but I do have chronic pain with herniated dics and severe arthritis in my back. I cant lift heavy things anymore, hurts to much. I was thinking to just try and snake the toilet that started acting up a week ago first. I dunno how much this is all gonna cost either. I have less than 100.00 in the bank and my budget is squeeky tight since my husband passed 2 years ago. Plus after being a travel agency owner for over 17 years I had to quit my beloved job and go on disability 6 years ago. I just started back to work part time because I found a doc who was able to burn some nerves in my low back so I am able to sit 5 hours a day 3 x a week, but the mula is gone. My dad does have a lot of money, and when he heard there might be a problem last week, he offered to pay for a plumber, (he always has been there financially to help...bless his heart) But, since his diagnosed whenever something stressful comes up he just loses it and stresses out so much it affects his disease and he digresses. I just cant do that to him! Ug, back to the towels until I hear back from you wonderful wonderful people!......HUGS TO ALL OF YOU!.....Kari

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Luck, but if the stoppage is anything near like you said, it is a very physcially demanding job.

It takes skill, strength and probably a long dirty time. Wear heavy gloves, because if the snake isn't feeding you will have to pull out and try again a number of times..yuck

If your pipes are old or just corroded you could rupture them with the snake (it's happen to me) and have water coming down into your kitchen, in which case you would then (or the plumber would have to rip out the ceiling at the break) to replace the pipe

I'll keep my fingers crossed

All I can say is good luck! Next time you flush, it may not be so pretty! You really need a pro, sounds like. But, trying all the tips mentioned couldn't hurt I suppose.

Have you checked your homeowner policy? Some cover sewage back up. I'd be trying that angle first.

AL.

Thanks Al! But my family owns a chunk of Allstate insurance. It will cover the carpet with a deductible if when it is completely dry it molds or smells. (still wet now) My daughter was so sick today with 102 fever I just couldnt have anyone come over. We have one working toilet upstairs. But, cant shower, no laundry, no dishwasher.....It is still in the nightmare stage. Spent all day yesterday with my best pal RATMAN55 and then we ended up on the phone. HE IS THE MAN! He stepped me through getting a snake, sent me videos of what to do. It was worth a shot because I didnt want to bother my dad for money and freak him out. Since his diagnosed, he seems to freak out over everything. Tried the snake thing and it didnt work. DAMN! So, got a hold of my sisters boyfriend who is a licensed handyman, and he is coming out for 50/hr and then I have to pay for the rental of a snake that will reach the main line. He said it should cost at total of about 180.00 including his labor. So, without any more choice, I had to make the call to my dad in Arizona. We had been detoxing, and his voice was strong, and no slurring again. Plus he was into the Olympics which also put him in a good mood. I told him about the sewer issue, and he was just like, okay, no problem checks in the mail, gotta get back to the Olympics now. WHEW! That phone call could have gone either way, and I am just so very thankful that it didnt stress him out. I think I was more stressed out about stressing him out than anything, thats why I was trying to do it all on my own. My daughters fever broke late today, so gonna hopefully have this nightmare fixed tomorrow while I am at work. Keeping my fingers crossed that just flushing the main line will do the trick! Thanks again you guys, your support in my little nightmare has made me feel not so alone. I love you all!
Will keep ya posted.
HUGS!
Kari

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back