Diagnosis
10/2006
Country
US
State
florida
City
plant city
i joined the site last week and want to share my story. I am a 53 yo white male, husband, father of 2, 11+ year veteran of the US Army (helicopter pilot) with duty assignments in Egypt and Korea, and 10 years as a pharmaceutical sales rep. I played sports all my life and maintained my physical fitness throughout my life. When i wasn't playing sports, I was working in the yard or repairing/building something, or fishing.

In Jan 06 I noticed muscle fasciculations (visible and felt) in my right forearm. During my annual physical in Feb the fasciculations had spread to my biceps/triceps, pectorals, and lats on both sides. I discussed this with my doctor and since there was no sign of muscle weakness he determined that i had Benign Fasciculation Syndrome.

My fasciculations became more intense throughout my upper body over the next 7 months, but no obvious indication of weakness. In mid Sep 06 I noticed a change in my speech, specifically my tongue felt heavy. I called my friend, a neurologist I called on for 8 years.

On 2 Oct 06 a full physical neuro work up was done, to include MRI of brain and cervical spine, both of which were unremarkable. On 4 Oct, nerve conduction and EMG tests were done. My friend had that look on his face that no doctor wants to have. I said "go ahead, confirm what I already know", it wasn't easy for my friend to say those three letters, ALS. It was a long drive home from my sales territory.

The first noticeable weakness occured in late Feb 07 (had to hit 9 iron instead of pitching wedge). As of today I am in a powerchair, can't use my hands, arms or walk. My speech is nearly unintelligable, but I can still swallow liquids and solid food. I can stand on my own if someone helps me stand up.

The ALSA, VA, Hospice, family, and friends have provided support, equipment, counseling, and medical care. After reading many posts on this forum, I realize that care is as diverse as this disease. I will try to give whatever information or advice in order to make care giving a less painful experience for all.

Hi folks this is Christopher i am newbie to this ALS forums,,,,, i hope i ll enjoy this community...

Christopher, I don't usually post in the middle of someones post but you are such a jerk I felt it is needed. What in the world makes you think ALS patients need drug rehab for? Do you even know what ALS is?
Did you bother to read anything here so that you would know what the rules are? I think not.
If you do happen to come back and read this I hope you'll take the time to learn about ALS. Maybe next time you post on a site you'll think first.

AL.

Last edited by a moderator:
jimmybob,
Remarkable story, sounds like you've had a busy few years. I worked in retail pharmacy for 22 yrs, and have been a nurse for the last 9 yrs. I'm now still working 2 days a week in a rheumy practice, and boy, do we enjoy those lunches!8)

I was diagnosed June 08, already knew a little, actually a lot, about ALS since my brother was diagnosed in 3/03, then died 14 months later. I'm in the 9th month of my "official" ALS diagnosed, and am thrilled to say that I'm still walking, eating, driving, doing some minor housework, and a LOT of household paperwork, can't talk much at all anymore. But that's ok, most of our friends and family see it as very normal for me!

You can provide a wealth of knowledge to a lot of folks on here, wishing you only the best-
You and your family are in my prayers,
brenda

Thanks for serving Jimmybob!

Looks like you've already helped some folks out on the forum! Welcome and thanks for sharing.

Jimmybob,

I'm sure you will be able to contribute much to this forum. Welcome!

Zaphoon

Jimmybob - glad you are here on the forum but not glad you have to be!
You have been over the road my friend and will have alot to contribute!
Thanks for being involved!
Rick

Welcome, jimmybob, glad to hear from you, and looking forward to all your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back