00/0000
Country
US
State
IL
City
SMALL TOWN IN
Hi Everyone,
Just decided to drop a line to everyone and say Hello. Since I don't think the pub is open anymore. I decided to post in our other thread.
I'm doing ok. I'm still grieving dad pretty hard. But, who wouldn't be grieving when they had the best dad in the world for a father. Boy, did it hit fast at the end for him. He had Hospice for less then 24 hours. I remember we called him over 3 1/2 years ago when he first was diagnosed and they said he wasn't ready yet for their services.
You know even with all my grief I still think of how many blessing our family had. My dad loved movies and he was able to get out almost every weekend to go see one with my brother. He was a veteran luckily and they provided really well for him in getting him necessary equipment. We passed on all of it including his wheelchair ramp to a second cousin of my dad's. Dad recieved a call from her just two weeks prior to his death that she got the diagnosis of ALS as well. She never was in service so the stuf will definitely come in handy for her. She's in her mid-seventies and the progression is slow for the moment. I told her daughters about this forum. One of her daughters is a nurse and lives in the same town as her which will be a help.
I prayed that my dad would never lose his voice with his ALS. He didn't which was a blessing because I was able to call and speak with him everyday up until the end. Sometimes, I'd speak to him two to three times.
I also prayed that my dad wouldn't linger and suffer alot at the end. I have to say that he did have some discomfort at first until morphine and Ativan kicked in. But, I was there to hold his hand as he took his last breath. What was amazing at the end was that his hands were able to straighten at the end and I could hold his hand. For having ALS he had quite a grip on my hand during the final hours. I prayed with him and told him how much he meant to me. I don't mean to offend anyone of you by mentioning prayer if you have different beliefs then me. That isn't my intention with this.
I want to thank you all for your continued support of me on here and your friendships. It means so much. I'm still around and you are all in my thoughts. A big hug to all. Kim (Skipper)

Hi Kim, it's nice to hear from you. I'm so sorry about your dad's cousin, but how wonderful that he found out about her in time to pass the equipment to her. I hope things are going well for you.
Becky

Its good to hear from you Kim. I hope your days get brighter.

Hi Kim, I am so glad that you were able to be there to hold your fathers hand in the end. I am very sorry that you lost your father to this disease. It sounds like the two of you had a very special bond. That bond will never be broken. He will always be with you in spirit. He will be watching over you and is now pain free.

Never apologize for your faith nor for doing something so special with your father in the end. This is an open forum and no matter how or what we believe, we are not judged nor are we offending. This forum is for support and guidance and the special people on here are by your side no what. I can honestly say that although I hate ALS as it has forever changed my life, I have been blessed to have share thus journey with the kindest and most supportive people I have ever known. By continuing to post after the loss and struggles we are taking back from a disease that takes so much from us.

I am glad you are back and wish you peace and hope for the future and I will keep your aunt in my thoughts and my prayers.

You did good, Kim. Proud of ya. --Mike

:)................

Hey Kim, thanks for your post,it really hits home for me as I have two daughters that I am very close with and I am hoping my time ends as well as it did for you dad,with family . Love ya chally

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back