Not open for further replies.

salma

Reason
PALS
State
Sind
City
Karachi
my father has diagnosed in march 2006, his arms and legs are not worked. i have a question to all that he feels very thick (concentrated) saliva in mouth... which cant abe ble to swalloing.. what should we do for this? any body has an idea.. thanx
God bless to all

Hello Salma. Sorry to hear about your Dad. Are you in North America or someplace where there is an ALS clinic? They will evaluate your dad to see if he needs medication to break up the saliva, or perhaps he needs some help with feeding if he isn't getting enough liquids. thick saliva can mean he is not getting enough liquids. Most people start to choke on liquids first so the clinic will evaluate this and make recommendations. Often if this is the case they suggest a thickner to put into his juice or thin soups. Another thing he should be evaluated for is a machine called cough-assist.

Until he is seen by his doctors, there are some practical things you can do at home. Some folks say coke or another sort of cola helps break up mucus. And making sure he takes more water is never a bad idea, even if it has to be in the form of liquid jello. regards, Cindy

I've been PM ing with Salma for a while and she is in India if I recall correctly and there are no resources like we have here anywhere near her. AL.

Oh, gosh. That's too bad. Someday there will be a cure, treatments for other than symptoms, and world-wide support for this awful thing. indy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back