Mollysol

Country
UK
State
uk
City
uk
Dear All

Hello , I have been suffering from a progressive neurological illness for the past 14 months .

started with tingling/pins and needls in my little finger July 2010 which progressed up my arm and then a buzzing in my rt foot, I have had every blood test you coud list low B12 ( now i am loaded following months of injections ) Doc initially said pernicious aneamia but as there was no improvement and a continual decline he said this was a 'red herring ' , i am also low on Vit D every thing else is normal

2 MRI 's - a spot on my brain , a spot on my spinal cord , no changes between these done over 12 months

LP - done 20th August , still waiting results my GP is furious!

I have fallen twice , April this year ripped my tendons in my rt ankle ( boy that hurt ) , then i fell again 2 weeks ago when i caught my toes in a flex i was trying to step over, doc says drop foot when i visited him and he did a general exam .

I could see the shock in face and he described the following as major concern in a letter to my neurologist

' I was shocked at her deterioration , whilst the weakness initially affected her right leg there is now bilateral weakness and also involves her arms and hands to a lesser extent. There is marked spasticity and hyper-reflexia with spontaneous clonus on active movement .There was also obvious fasiculation in her right foot and calf to the point i wondered about ALS , but i guess her initial presentation with sensory symptoms rules this out.'

I know they are testing me for MS , my doctor has referred my yo a fifferent neurologist who i get to see 14 November , and he has also referred my for NCV/EMG which is booked for 25th October .

i suppose i am hanging onto that Probably not ALS due to initial presentation with tingling /pins and needles . ( which i dont have now , but o do have a buzzing feeling in my feet and hands )

I guess i am looking for reassurance/support until the EMG when i will know for sure , its been a tough week since he threw that possibilty into the equasion .

kindest regards Mary

hi mary,wecome to the forum.
we can not give you any answers as thats for your neuro to work out.
ms could still be a possibility untill its 100% ruled out,i was evaluated for ms for several years with repeated mri's.
as for the buzzing/vibration feeling many here have reported having that sensation in feet and legs,i have it.........no one has figured out what it is but its the least harmful symptom.
the good news is you are being seen fairly quickly,hang in there mary and feel free to ask any questions.
take care,caroline.

Sending warm hugs and good wishes your way Mary!

You are doing the right thing by going to a neurologist. This is a scary time -- not knowing. The NCV/EMG are important as is an MRI to rule out MS lesions or a brain tumor. Hopefully, you have something treatable.

The sticky threads at the top of this forum have good information that will help you when you talk to various doctors.

Be good to yourself!

Let us know what happens.

Sorry about the ordeal you are going through. The EMG is probably the key to what's going on. Many neurological conditions can cause the same symptoms. Hang in there.
Best wishes

dear all

seriosly over whelmed by the kind response ............... i know the EMG wil wil clear it al up for me one way or another . will stop sobbing soon xxxx Mary

It is a really frightening time but I am sure that the EMG will help diagnose what you are dealing with. Let us know how you are getting on. Take care xx

Hi Mary, it's very scary when you don't know what you're dealing with, but try to stay positive and wait for the emg results. Keep us posted, and keep checking on this forum, it's definitely a lifeline for us. Sending you a hug and a prayer.

Helens sending you a bar of flying chocolate as well. It's a bit lower in calories than normal Hershey's :)

Virtual chocolate has NO calories, and is infinitely helpful to the soul...

I know this is a scary time. Hang in there and try to have good thoughts.
let us know,,,We really care.
Beckysuenc

Mary, I am so sorry for what you are going thrugh right now. We can all relate. It seems to take forever to get to a diagnosis. We have all tried to learn patience which is so hard when you are scared. Trust that it will all be revieled to you soon. Hang on, in do time you will have answers, Hoping and praying for a treatable condition. We are here for you as you seek for answers.

Sorry about your symptoms but am glad to know that you have gotten in to see a Neuro and have an EMG scheduled. Hopefully that will answer a lot of questions. In the meantime I will keep you in my prayers.

Thank you again every one , i will of course lett you all know how the EMG goes on the 25th but i doubt they will tell me anything on the day the letter says 1 -3 weeks for the results.

Holding on to this can't be x :roll:

Mary x

PS . the virtual Hersheys morphed onto a very real cadburys dairy milk . :grin:

No, unless your neuro does the actual EMG, you won't know much for a while... even if he does it, he would only give you partial results without looking at all the info (is data the correct term here? don't know)

And I'll have to remember that it's cadbury's that you like! Keep the faith, it is a rare disease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back