11/2008
Country
US
State
az
City
phoenix
Hello to you all,
My husband was diagnosed with ALS about 3 months ago, the doctors say it started around April 2008. I have been reading postings on this forum and I think all of you people here are so wonderful and so supportive! I have learned so many things here and feel all of the support you give each other!

Short story to our story. My husband is 37 years old and has bulbar ALS. He has problems speaking, swallowing, moving his right hand and arm, and now his right leg is having problems. He works as a contractor and so he does not have any benefits. We do have health insurance with my work and I thank God every day for that!

I have been able to identify with many of you and your postings and I have grown to care about so many of you. Thank you for your courage to post your problems and feelings here.

I will keep reading and look forward to meeting many of you!

Tanya

hello tanya.
welcome to the forum,sorry to hear about your husbands diagnosed.
i hope we can answer any questions you may have and help both you and your husband:)

Welcome to the forum. I am busy at this minute but just want to tell you to apply for Social Security disability right away, and military disability if he served. Will be looking forward to hearing from you on this site. God bless. Rick and Marjorie

Welcome to the forum, Tanya. I see you have already made friends. Ask us anything- folks around here are very helpful. Regards, Cindy

Welcome, Tanya

Your husband's symptoms sound similar to mine. Does he attend one of the ALS clinics in the valley?

I hope this forum is helpful to you.

John

Hi Tanya!

Sorry about your husband.

Welcome.

Hi Tanya,

How is your husband coping with the diagnosis?

I wanted to echo others to encourage him to apply for Social Security Disabilty right away, the sooner things like this are in place, the better.

Welcome to the forum, just sorry for the reason you're here.

Hello Tanya. Welcome.

AL.

Tanya,
Welcome to the Forum. Sorry to hear about your husband. I hope you can find the answers to the questions you must have.

Hi John,
My husband is going to the ALS clinic at Good Sam. What about you? Where are you going? We have been really pleased with their doctors there. They are wonderful.

Tanya

I also go to the Good Sam clinic. Going back on the 21st, I think.

Tanya,
Like everyone said, welcome to the forum. And yes, please help him apply for disability right away. I was diagnosed 6/3/08 and found out 2 weeks ago that I was denied, because I kept right on working. As it turns out, I made too much money in that 6 months to qualify. Seems kinda funny though, I have worked 31 yrs of my life, and they did that.
Oh well, I'm not dwelling on it too much, I have the ball rolling to make the right amount of money over the next 6 months.
Sorry to talk so much, but I love to "talk"
take good care, and feel free to ask away,
brenda

Brenda- did you apply for SSDI? I thought that a DX of ALS meant automatic qualification for that program. Or am I thinking of another government benefit?

I am not sure of how the law works now, but when I applied I had to file three times before approval and the last time hired a Social Security Lawyer who was pain by SS, and finally got the approval.
Don't give up. Keep trying. Call a lawyer.

I hate to hear of people having trouble getting Disability. ALS is a 21 day to benifits disease. I think this is crazy.. Look at the new guidelines, not any waiting period. I do not believe they can deny it period...........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back