Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
CA
State
ON
Hello I have had a stiff neck that showed compressed disks. Also my legs have been feeling heavy very heavy I can walk and run but they feel very weighted down. I’m scared because a dr said that als is progressive so I’m very worried and scared. I’m had clear brain and cervical mri .

I'm not sure why you think ALS is on the table, Rick, if you have been diagnosed with disk compression and seemingly ALS is not suspected by the doctor that knows you best. What is scaring you? What did the doctor say are the next steps?

Best,
Laurie

Thank you for your reply. The disk compression explains the sore neck although I read online about someone that had that then developed als. Also my dr can’t explain the heavy legs at all he is not sure why I have that. My legs feel very heavy like they have weights attached. Also I am getting soreness all over my body in different places like my back and chest is sore. I did chest x ray but no findings. The symptoms are

slight shortness breath
Heavy legs
Pain in different parts body

Yes, disk compression is more likely as people get older, as is ALS, so it's not surprising that some people are found to have both. And yes, occasionally ALS is taken for disk problems, but not for long because the testing shows very different patterns.

But heavy legs and widespread soreness aren't typical of ALS onset. And respiratory onset doesn't occur as you've described in the same timeframe.

Has a primary care doctor done blood work?

My dr ran all the blood work normal brain and neck mri .

The symptom that is worried me the most right now is my legs feel heavy. about 2 weeks ago I started to stand up amd they were shaking but that went away. I am absolutely terrified. I feel like my legs have weights on them

Hi Rick-

Can you please make sure to read here: Read Before Posting It explains all about ALS and other causes of some of the symptoms that people search online for and find themselves worried about ALS. Heavy legs can mean so many things, and focusing on ALS when there are many many reasons for that sensation- as you will see in the information listed at the link above.

Please keep working with your doctor to track down the cause, but you'd have a long way to go before a doctor would even arrive at any neurological reason, let alone ALS. The folk here can only provide basic information about ALS and aren't really able to help you with more than that. If you're struggling with anxiety while you wait for answers from your doctor, you deserve support for that too- ask your doctor about options in what must be a stressful time for you.

Let us know what your doctor is saying is the next steps for you, but "heavy legs" is not enough to suspect ALS. Take care

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply I did read that I guess I am just concerned because I am reading mixed things everywhere I look like heaviness sometimes pops up and sometimes it doesn’t seem with like shakiness I think the day my legs just don’t feel right if you’ll wait it down I am able to walk like normal and even run on a treadmill but they just don’t feel right

Is it normal for ALS to start in both legs were both legs feel weak and heavy

Hi Rick-

It's time to go back to your doctor. A feeling of "heavy legs" is not enough to warrant multiple posts on a forum that supports those with ALS. If your doctor tells you there is a neurological reason for your concerns, or that ALS is on the table, then it would be appropriate to post again. Until then, please get support for your clearly very overwhelming anxiety about a rare disease.

Hey everyone I saw my doctor today and he examined me he said we can do an EMG I did a Doppler test today which was negative circulation was perfect. My legs still feel very weak and heavy I am able to do everything I can before this feeling but it is worrying me how heavy and weak they feel. Feels like I’m dragging around cinderblocks

mod note- moved post to already open thread.

Rick, please let us know after you get the results of your emg. Please do not post til then, per previous moderators' requests. It is important in the meantime to find yourself appropriate support for your extreme anxiety.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back