01/2012
Country
UK
State
Bedfordshire
City
bedford
Hello All :)

Completely overwhelmed with different emoticions at the minute as my uncle was diagnosed with ALS a few weeks ago.

Very surreal and as much as enjoying the time he has left being able to walk and talk at the moment - I have come on here for some inspiration and advice on dealing with whats to come.

So angry that there is no cure/undertstanding of how people can get it!

I will be doing a skydive for the charity - i know it won't raise much money but I want to try and do my bit.

Hope fully one day to come their will be some cure.

Enough from me... Would love to get to know as many people on here as possible.

Many Thanks

Sara

st123

Distinguished member
Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
Michigan
City
Mid
Welcome, Sarah. So sorry about you uncle's diagnosis. You'll find lots of great people here who can provide an unbelievable amount of information and support.

My son has been talking about skydiving for years, but hasn't tried it yet. Have you done it before?

momap53

Very helpful member
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
05/2011
Country
US
State
GA
City
EGA
Welcome aboard, Sara! So sorry about your Uncle's DX. You'll find a wealth of information here and some great people to help guide you on your path with your Uncle. Happy skydiving! Post photos!

Al

Moderator emeritus
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
10/2003
Country
CA
State
On
City
NW of Toronto
Welcome Sara. Hope we can be of some help.

AL.

notgivnup

Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
11/2010
Country
OS
State
Darkside of Moon
City
country
Welcome Sara, you have come to the right place. Lot's of info and love to be shared with you.

Ms. Pie

Very helpful member
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
10/2010
Country
US
State
CO
City
Colorado
Welcome Sara! I know those emotions well. You get used to it somewhat. It ain't easy though. Let us know if you want to vent or have any questions. Just remember, we are learning to Live with ALS rather than die of ALS. Be strong so he can be strong. It's okay to cry sometimes. It will get easier.
Hugs to you!

Toto's Dorothy

Very helpful member
Diagnosis
11/2008
Country
US
State
Kansas
City
Emerald
Welcome Sarah, to the family no one wants to be a part of. Ask questions , big or small, someone will be able to help you. And if and when your uncle is ready, you can try to get him to join up.

Okie2

Distinguished member
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
04/2010
Country
US
State
Oklahoma
City
Bartlesville
Welcome Sara, this is a great place for help and answers.

sarad25

Reason
Loved one DX
Diagnosis
01/2012
Country
UK
State
Bedfordshire
City
bedford
Thank you do much guys! Huge inspirations and I'll get him on this... :)

If I can ask u all a question... Did u accept what you had straight away? X

Okie2

Distinguished member
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
04/2010
Country
US
State
Oklahoma
City
Bartlesville
In my case I would have to say I was ready to know what was happening to me. I had always been the type to not think anything was wrong or that I could get over whatever it was. After fighting foot drop and getting weaker as I worked a physical job climbing poles and hauling ladders around as a telephone repairman, I wanted to have some answer. I knew i would hurt myself or someone else if i did not stop working. I was over a year before I gave in and went to a Dr who noticed the muscle loss of my leg instantly, and referred me to neurologist. Had the test, and was referred to Mayo clinic. After being there and going thru more test, diagnosis was confirmed. As far as accepting it I would say I am not sure anyone really can accept something like this, but we must deal with it. We use lots of humor and love to keep going. I hope you can find ways to get around this monster best you and your family can. Good luck.

seaside

Distinguished member
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
04/2011
Country
US
State
MA
City
Hull
Hello Sara,
When will we hear more about this skydiving event?

vzandt

Reason
Lost a loved one
Diagnosis
04/2010
Country
US
State
N.H.
City
Noneknown
Didnt accept it right away. two years later still dont accept it lol. (keep thinking...well maybe their wrong) But my accepting it or not is not changing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.