01/2012
Country
UK
State
Bedfordshire
City
bedford
Hello All :)

Completely overwhelmed with different emoticions at the minute as my uncle was diagnosed with ALS a few weeks ago.

Very surreal and as much as enjoying the time he has left being able to walk and talk at the moment - I have come on here for some inspiration and advice on dealing with whats to come.

So angry that there is no cure/undertstanding of how people can get it!

I will be doing a skydive for the charity - i know it won't raise much money but I want to try and do my bit.

Hope fully one day to come their will be some cure.

Enough from me... Would love to get to know as many people on here as possible.

Many Thanks

Sara

Welcome, Sarah. So sorry about you uncle's diagnosis. You'll find lots of great people here who can provide an unbelievable amount of information and support.

My son has been talking about skydiving for years, but hasn't tried it yet. Have you done it before?

Welcome aboard, Sara! So sorry about your Uncle's DX. You'll find a wealth of information here and some great people to help guide you on your path with your Uncle. Happy skydiving! Post photos!

Welcome Sara. Hope we can be of some help.

AL.

Welcome Sara, you have come to the right place. Lot's of info and love to be shared with you.

Welcome Sara! I know those emotions well. You get used to it somewhat. It ain't easy though. Let us know if you want to vent or have any questions. Just remember, we are learning to Live with ALS rather than die of ALS. Be strong so he can be strong. It's okay to cry sometimes. It will get easier.
Hugs to you!

Welcome Sarah, to the family no one wants to be a part of. Ask questions , big or small, someone will be able to help you. And if and when your uncle is ready, you can try to get him to join up.

Welcome Sara, this is a great place for help and answers.

Thank you do much guys! Huge inspirations and I'll get him on this... :)

If I can ask u all a question... Did u accept what you had straight away? X

In my case I would have to say I was ready to know what was happening to me. I had always been the type to not think anything was wrong or that I could get over whatever it was. After fighting foot drop and getting weaker as I worked a physical job climbing poles and hauling ladders around as a telephone repairman, I wanted to have some answer. I knew i would hurt myself or someone else if i did not stop working. I was over a year before I gave in and went to a Dr who noticed the muscle loss of my leg instantly, and referred me to neurologist. Had the test, and was referred to Mayo clinic. After being there and going thru more test, diagnosis was confirmed. As far as accepting it I would say I am not sure anyone really can accept something like this, but we must deal with it. We use lots of humor and love to keep going. I hope you can find ways to get around this monster best you and your family can. Good luck.

Hello Sara,
When will we hear more about this skydiving event?

Didnt accept it right away. two years later still dont accept it lol. (keep thinking...well maybe their wrong) But my accepting it or not is not changing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back