Status
Not open for further replies.
Glenn ... I'll keep this short. Maybe that way, you will actually read it before hitting the ceiling or picking up the bottle again.

No, you will not get an EMG on your first visit to the neuro. No, you cannot "demand" it. It is a long test, and will have to be booked into the neuro's schedule. The neuro will do a general exam and evaluate you. If you go in there with booze on your breath, or acting like a nut job and "demanding" tests you know nothing about, you are less likely to be taken seriously.

You are fixating on ALS because it is apparently the only neuromuscular disease you have ever heard of, but there are dozens and dozens of other conditions WITH THE SAME SYMPTOMS that must be ruled out first.

Get a grip.

Let me tell you something, I went to the neuro and within 15 minutes she had scheduled virtually every blood test possible, MRI, brain SPECT, EMG and NCV. All done with 7 days of my visit. Even with all that, I have no answers. It is a waiting game for some of us. I have no doubt you will have an EMG scheduled as a result of your visit, if your neuro confirms your atrophy, your weakness, views your twitches, it is a no brainer to do the EMG and NCV. But just because those are scheduled doesn't mean that ALS is any more likely than anything else. I just had a friend with symptoms completely different (and bizarre I might add) than mine and she was also scheduled for an EMG and NCV within days (and all clear). Just bide your time until you go to the doctors and try to put a damper on the melodrama. Imagining your mother's heartbroken face is not doing you any good!

How can anyone have peace with confusion everywhere?

Glen I am sorry you find yourself in this delimina of wondering "what if". We have all been there. Many have come and gone from the forum thinking the worst only to discover something not near as bad as ALS.
I was diagnosed May 11, 2006 myself. Took months after first symptoms before a diagnosed and many on here have gone years with no diagnosed.
I'm just saying do not jump ahead and panic. Give the Doctors time to do the tests and confirm what is really happening.
If you would like to read some encouraging words to maybe help you have more peace during this time of confusion, then go to this link:
Christians Here To Help You And Talk at:
https://www.alsforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4711&highlight=Christians
May we all find a place in our hearts and lives where we can be at peace with whatever we face each day is my prayer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back