Status
Not open for further replies.
Cindy -

My boss is tolerant of the fact that I have't been as productive lately. We've been working together for 10 years and he is very concerned, supportive. At home, I've punted quite a bit of the day to day stuff to my husband and the older kids. I can see how as this disease progresses, we are going to need help from outside as well. It really is overwhelming to think about what's to come.

Liz

Hi,

Waking up for me in the mornings is rough also, I find myself very tired and mentally exhausted no matter what I do. I had to quit my job because I do mobile X-ray and could no longer drive, so now most of my day is spent sitting in a chair watching T.V. or playing on computer and even that a times is exhausting. It is the not knowing what is coming next to me that is so overwhelming. Hang in there guys you are all in my prayers and thoughts.

Ellisa

Hey Cindy -

Isn't Sam that behemoth that dragged you through the woods last week? Please tell me you have another plan for him this week.

Liz

Yes, Liz. He's the very one! I hit upon a plan based upon my asking myself which is more tiring- walking or driving. I will still walk him when I feel able but all this week I took Sam to a deserted industrial park and let him follow the car while I drove the parking lot. Proves that where there is a will, there is a way. Lee came back last night so he's back on "dog duty."

There is a lot to consider in all of this, isn't there? Like you, I wonder when I will need to give up driving and when it is time to get extra help. This morning I woke up feeling fine-no symptoms except weakness, and thought "maybe I am in remission!" Wouldn't that be nice.:-D

Kelly - are you still there?

Hi Kelly -

How'd you survive the weekend? Are you working this week? What are you doing for Thanksgiving?

Liz

Kelly,

Sometimes the atrophy in the area below the thumb can just be due to ulnar nerve damage from something like carpal tunnel syndrome and doesn't necessarily have to be due to ALS.

Various things can cause atrophy and this may even be due some to your Lyme's. What did the doctor say about it when you he showed it to you? Have you had EMGs?

Linda

thanks for asking and replying

Liz ive been checking in just saw your message the holiday was nice hope yours was as well . IM working this week like crazy. thanks for thinking of me I hope you are doing OK. Lindogvr thanks for your reply I did have the EMG last week spoke with the neuro surgeon was some irregularitie s Ill be taking the EMg to mass general in boston next friday . I do have lots of complications particularily the long term undiagnosed neuro stuff ltymes positive for years and cervical cord compression from bonespurs and discs( someone ran a red light ten years ago and my neck took the biggest hit ) THe Emg showed mild carpal tunnel on one side but I have atrophy on both hands and no ct symptoms so all still a mystery have had numerous fasiculations for years as well no atrophy always reasured me. Al --Igot a cold over the holiday too hope you feel better soon! you guys are all dealing with so much and your strenth and honesty is so refreshig it has been a pleasure getting to know you all a little sincerely,Kelly

Hi Kelly -

Good to hear you're doing alright.

Glad to hear you're making some headway with the diagnostic stuff. You must be driving the docs crazy with all of your complications.

Is your son home yet? Have you talked to him about all of this?

Liz

optimistic

A family member has recently been diagnosed with ALS in one city and that was debunked in another neighbouring city. Either way a motor neuron disease or at least muscular atrophy is evident. Aprox 7 yrs have past since the 1st signs. The only reassuring info I have come across is that with PMA (Positive Mental Attitude) and anti-oxidants, there is a chance to stop the progress of this disease & possibly regenerate some muscle. There is a book that I am reading (Eric is Winning) and many websites I am viewing that hint to this as the best proactive approach. Does anyone know of any other positive approaches to combatting this disorder? Is anyone taking this aproach? what are your comments regarding this?
Thanks so much for your input & dedication to helping others...

Hi Manfred -

The "Eric is Winning" discussion gets pretty lively here - there's quite a few skeptics. To check out previous discussions on this forum, you can click the search button and enter "Eric Is Winning". Or you can check out the Scam Busters section. Or just sit tight....... those with strong opinions will probably jump in soon.

Liz

:-D Cute, Liz. That response brought a smile to my face. :-D Cindy

Yes Manfred, Eric is Winning. The scam Lottery. Don't waste your money and don't try to spread his poison here. Some might call this a strong opinion. Some who have been screwed won't.
AL.

We're not complaining about your opinions, Al. Your concern for all of us is a part of you that we love!:-D Cindy

Last edited:
need support

CindyM said:
We're not complaining about your opinions, Al. Your concern for all of us is a part of you that we love!:-D Cindy

When I was first Dx My daughter bought "The Book" for me Of course I read it. But being a naturally suspicious person, I felt it might be a rip off. Any time some one is making money off of their efforts, is a warning sign to me. If he seriously cared about the rest of us, he would donate the proceeds to the als research it. Just my two cents worth. EM

pma

Al said:
Hi Kelly. Welcome. Sorry you have to be here but glad you found us. First take a couple of deep breaths. Freaking isn't going to make this any easier. ALS is a real bummer but I'd trade it for PMA any day. At one point they were thinking I had it but no such luck. If you can call that lucky. Where do you live? How old are you? Married, kids etc. Tell me a bit about yourself. I'd like to try to help but it is easier if I know something about you. AL.

AL,
Can you tell me why you would much rather have ALS than PMA? With ALS you have the full pkg.... the swallowing problems, speech, etc... With PMA you are basically paralyzed from neck down but do not have the above problems and typically live longer. The prognosis is usually better with PMA. My husband is on 6 years with PMA and thankfully he is able to be here watching his small children grow up. I would have to say neither disease is something that anyone would want but after attending a benefit for someone with the full blown ALS, and another with PLS(hard time breathing) we felt we were one of the lucky ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back