Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
NC
City
knightdale
Hello, I am doing a project on ALS for my biology class and after researching it for a while i found this place. It seems like a good place to get information about ALS since it comes directly from people who have experience with it. I have a couple of questions about ALS. I know that the disease can be inherited (familial ALS) but is it dominant or recessive? Also, is this disease caused by a chromosome abnormality? I think i read an article saying it was but i want to make sure. Thank you for taking the time to help me with this, I greatly appreciate any help. I hope you guys stay strong and live long!:-D

I would suggest that you speak to a doctor, do your research on MDA and/or continue your research on the internet/library. There is a lot of data out there that could be more use to you than asking people here about the disease.

ALS (Lou Gehrig) is a fatal disease and there is no cure.

Mercy! I don't think we have to be that rude. I am sorry I don't have the answers to your questions, but maybe someone else will be able to help you.

Yes, Lou. That was harsh. You know we appreciate your "straight talk" but for some reason, everything written in print sounds more strident. (I learned this just yesterday in a workshop on how to write business emails)

Of the couple of thousand members that this board now has, someone may be willing to be interviewed by this gentleman. Not being interested myself, I will chose to ignore this request.

Randy?
As these folks have indicated...you can do a ton of research on ALS either by spending time on this forum, contacting the local ALS society near you or checking out many of the other websites available.
I think you stirred up some frustration cause you clearly had not done any research to speak of before asking your questions...the questions make that clear!
The members of this forum are dealing with horrendous personal tragedy and issues you can not imagine. For many to even respond with a short reply to you takes more time and energy than you can ever dream of. For most of us there is no time for that!
Do your research...take the correction to heart...it will do more to teach you about the reality off this disease and of life than any textbook will.
Rick

Randy,

Unfortunately I don't have any answers for you. My husband has not been diagnosed yet and hopefully he will find out he has something altogether different.

I am a very infrequent poster but have read this board for nearly a year. We have been searching for answers that long. Many on the board have been searching for much longer.

One thing I have noticed is when a student come here to do research some people get "upset" for lack of a better word. I have a suggestion. We set up a post for students doing research and direct them to that post. We ALL want people to understand ALS. Many people have no idea what it is or even that it is terminal. Helping students is one way to spread the word. We never know if one of these students will end up doing research that could really impact us. When in high school I did a chemistry paper on a new drug. In college I was able to work with a professor doing research on Alzheimer's.

I realize it is true many on here are not able to physically help with this but some of us could just add links when we find something that is good and easy to understand. Just the other day I found an old post by Lorie that had a link that explained more to me than I ever understood before. I found it because I was looking at someone's profile and reading their past comments.

Just as we all were probably totally overwhelmed when we started researching ALS I am sure these students are too. They find this board and think maybe they have a way to "speak" to someone.

We want to educate people about this disease. It is horrible, awful. I would like people to be aware of it BEFORE they have someone close to them with this.

Of course this is just my opinion and I have been known to be wrong.

Randy,
So you will have a better understanding of what we are suffering, some people on the forums have no use of their hands anymore and have to rely on computer eye recognition software just to type, which is very labor intensive. Others may only have one hand or one finger to use. So they are reluctant to spend precious time answering questions for someone just wanting to get a good grade on a paper for school.

If you really want to learn about ALS, It may help you to use the search function above and put in words you want answers to and see what people have already written in the past. There is a wealth of knowledge already here, without having to answer one question at a time.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hi,

I agree this is not the place, but being a high school teacher (had to retire) I cannot resist. Your question is way too simple. Example: brown eyes are dominate, blue eyes are recessive. Neither are rare, but ALS is super rare. Here is a site to check go to your web searches. Ask.com is a good place to start. I was not a science teacher. But my sister in law is. We talked a long time. Your question is much bigger than you think. Good Luck and best wishes.
Peg

http://www.mda.org/Publications/gen_inhr.html

Hi Randy! Thank you so very much for being so caring towards this monstrous disease. So you are doing a research, eh? I am sure you are still in high school, may I ask you how old you are, dear? Wow, this is a first! Normally it's people stricken with this damn disease, or their loved ones, and again, Randy, may God bless you for looking out for us. I am not a Pals, but I lost my loving son to this dreadful disease. We need more people like you, looking into this damn disease. Who knows? You might have some great plans to become a doc, or whatever in the medical field, and our Father might just bless you with such knowledge, as to find a cure. May God bless you, and I pray to God that you achieve your goals. Keep up the good work, you are doing great!

Irma

Randy,

Please dont take some of the responses personal. As you have read, the people that are on this forum are suffering greatly, not just sometimes but every single day. They come here to gain the support and love of others that are suffering to. This forum is a way of mentally surviving. It is not you. I believe that your inquiring mind is a good thing. But the sensitivity of this disease is immense. I hope you can aquire all the information you need for your school report. And maybe you can turn this forum response into an understanding of the great need for compassion to the people that are daily being diagnosed with ALS. Wonderful, kind, loving people from all walks of life having to deal with this huge thing. I hope you find all the info you need, good luck.

Robin

Randy, I hope you are still reading the forum and that I did not run you off with my harsh comment. I apologize for the strong wording in that post. Please forgive me?

If you have specific questions you need answer for let me know and those of us that can still type well will try to help you. As some of the younger generation says now a days, MY BAD!

See, I'm 61 years old and an old grump. I guess having 15 grandchildren coming and going has taken it's toll on me over the years. That still is no excuse.

I commend you for your interest in ALS and will try to help you if you reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back