PALS
Country
US
State
West Virginia
City
Ravenswood
Hello,
I am new to this website. My husband has just been given the diagnosis of ALS after many months of tests. He has a follow up visit this Monday (June 26th) for another EMG.
I guess right now we're in denial - keep hoping they will say they've made a mistake and that it's actually MMN (which is treatable).
My husband fell from scaffolding about three years ago and broke his right shoulder. He keeps thinking that his symptoms are related to that accident. But, I honestly don't agree with him.
His symptoms started about one year ago - a little bit of weakness in his thumb and pinkie finger. Then the twitching started in his arms - now both hands and arms are weak. He is having trouble buttoning his shirts, tying shoes, using screwdriver, etc. His twitches have gotten worse - both arms, chest, back, face, etc. He has trouble holding his arms above his head in that position.
I've read as much as I can get a hold of and done a lot of research. But, I've not read much about fatique being a symptom. He seems to get more tired lately than ever - he goes to sleep earlier than me. That is quite a switch. He is only 49 years old.
About one month ago, his right leg swelled and two knots appeared on his right foot (the top of it). One doctor thought he had a blood clot - but nothing showed up on the test. Has this happened to anyone? It is still bigger than his left leg (the calf).
Well - just wanted to say hello. Our outlook is positive - we will not just lie down and die. We will fight this disease head on and together.
love to all,
Patty

Hello - husband newly diagnosed

I'm new to this website and I don't have a clue what I'm doing. ha!

My husband is 49 years old and has just been given a diag of ALS. His symptoms: weakness in both arms, muscle twitches in both arms, face, neck, chest and back. He's been having trouble buttoning his shirts, using screwdriver, tying his shoes and raising his arms above his head. He has been more tired lately than ever before.
He fell from scaffolding about three years ago and keeps thinking his symptoms are related to that accident. He broke his right shoulder and bruised the rest of his body. I think he's in denial but maybe the neurologist is wrong in her diagnosis?!
I've read a lot of data and done a lot of research. He sure does sound like he has ALS. But, how can one be sure at first? We are going to fight this disease and NEVER give up! With God on our side, we can face tomorrow.
love you all,
Patty

His loving wife of 31 years

Hi Patty,

Sorry you find a need to be here ,, but glad you found us. To the best of my knowledge the diagnoses for ALS is mostly thru the process of elminination. Thats why the doctors do all the other tests such as scopes, blood work, scans, MRI's, X-Rays, EMG's, etc. It's very hard to diagnosed ALS, so they mostly rule out everything else. If you don't have any other problems ,, then most likely you have ALS.

I will pray for strength for your family ,, no matter ,, what the future holds. Take care and come back and talk anytime.

Love and Prayers
Marlo

Hi Patty. Hope you don't mind but I merged your posts into one post.Fatigue can be a symptom of ALS. Most of us can't do near as much as we once could. I usually tell people that I can still walk just not as far or as fast. Tiredness is the biggest reason. Welcome to the forum but sorry you have to be here. Best regards to your husband from AL.

Hi

Hi I Am New To This Website Also
Yes This Is Great To Know We Can All Talk About This And Know That We Are In A World By Ourself.
Just Saying Hi
My Husband Is 35 And Was Just Diagonsed Also And He Is Very Tired Also It Is Very Hard And We Too Are Going To Fight It Together.
Just Saying Hi
Pez

Hello

Hello Patty and Pez:

I just wanted to say hello to both of you. I am so Sorry about your husbands' diagnosis. As my best friend Gail (who is only 41 and diagnosed in March /06) says on a regular basis, "THIS SUCKS!""
I agree with her.

Your husbands, as is Gail, are way too young for this. anyone, under the age of 110, is way too young for this.!

I wish you both strength, Love and Hope to get through each day.

Barbie :|

Welcome Pez and Patty

Hi Pez amd Patty,
Glad that you found this forum. Welcome. There are good people here who become like family. We all are going through the same thing-those three little letters that can certainlally change our lives forever. But, like you, we are all fighting.
I hope both of you and your husbands are able to find the ways you need to cope.
Come anytime to this site and vent, ask questions or just check in.
Hugs and prayers to you both,
Leah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back