00/0000
Country
US
State
IL
City
SMALL TOWN IN
Hi Everyone,
I don't get on here as much as I used to but wanted to stop in and say Hi to everyone. You are all in my thoughts and prayers. I sometimes read but don't post all the time. I wasn't dad's caretaker so I'm not as knowledgeable to give advice as most of you.

Yesterday, November 21st was the one year anniversary of my dad's passing. Dad had limb onset for about 3 1/2 years before he passed at the age of 81. We had hospice for my father at the end for less then 24 hours at the end. It hit that quick.

What was ironic with my dad is that he only used a bi-pap during his first six months. Then he didn't need it anyone and the Dr's at the ALS clinic he went to in Dallas also agreed he was fine without it. Dad's voice also was harder to understand at the beginning of the ALS too. Then it seemed to get better. It only got hoarse if he was overly tired. He had to eat slow and pay attention to chew everything carefully but was able to eat everything without choking unless it was something overly dry.

My dad went to a volleyball game of his granddaughter just 5 days prior to his death. Then he got like cold-like symptoms. Voice went away and then he couldn't swallow. Then he starting having breathining issues. My sister took him to the ER and he was admitted to the hospital. He was there less then 24 hrs and Hospice was called. We moved him to my sister's home. He died less then 12 hrs later.

My dad did have quite a bit of air hunger in the hospital. But, once we got hospice involved they used morphine and Ativan and he just slept away at the end. They kept gradually increasing the dosage throughout the day. It went way-way better then we thought it ever would. He did struggle at the beginning until we got Hospice involved but they were amazing.

One thing the Hospice person said to me that I am so grateful for. I said " I wish I could hold my dad's hand but can't because his hand are so curved under." The caregiver said that at the end stages sometimes their hands will relax and you can open them. So, we tried it and sure enough without causing him any discomfort we did. So, I was able to hold my dad's hand when he passed.

I'm doing ok for the most part. The grief comes in waves. I attend a grief support group that has really helped me tremendously. Believe it or not it's not all gloom and doom at our gatherings. We laugh as we tell stories about our loved one. It is just comforting knowing that other's understand what your going through.

I'm working Thanksgiving and Christmas at the switchboard at the hospital. I don't mind so much since it keeps my mind occupied. My mother was in the hospital years ago so I understand how it is to have a family member sick so I try to go out of my way to be extra pleasant to any callers or visitors.

I just got new flowers for my parents graves. Got some beautiful white poinsetta's with some red holly mixed in. Then my aunt (dad's sister) put out a really pretty fresh Christmas wreath. So, dad will be happy because he always wanted my mom's grave kept up. Now there is both of them there.

I wish all of you a Happy Thanksgiving and you will all be in my thoughts and prayers. Kim (Skipper)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, Kim,

I moved this to past CALS because you were certainly a caregiver. Good to hear from you. Holidays are difficult for many of us, but having worked a hospital switchboard myself on those days, your special attention will make a difference for some of your families there, I'm sure.

Best,
Laurie

Hi Kim,

I remember you as I was very early in my time with the forum. Thank you for the wonderful post. It was very uplifting. The holidays are so hard when you have lost someone. I am so glad that your father had a peaceful passing with you holding his hand. I am also glad that you are ok and finding peace in your life. Take care!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back