12/3456
Country
ABC
State
CcBbAa
City
AaBbCc
Hello,

my name is Mats and i'm a university student from Germany. I was diagnosed with ALS in October 2008 after noticing first symptoms a few months earlier. I'm 22 years old now so i guess i'm a rather unusual case. My condition is declining quite slowly, i'm still able to leave the house on my own but i'm worried about falling down all the time.

I received the diagnosis four months before i graduated highschool and for a long time i felt unable to accept the fact that i'm seriously ill. Sometimes it still feels unreal to think about it, but most of the time i'm eager to get healthy again. After not being able to continue my studies on a "brick and mortar" university i enrolled myself at a distance university. I'm studying cultural science for almost a year now and despite some obstacles i'm doing quite well.

I'm not happy about all aspects of my life and from time to time i feel worried and hopeless. I'm pretty lonesome most of the time and i'm wishing back my old life almost every day. But like i said before: I'm not willing to give up. I'm trying to rebuild my life every day and try to live as normal as possible. Despite the wish to live "normal" - I'm trying to see this disease as a chance to think differently about my life. What else could scare us after we've got this diagnosis?

I hope for a lot of good conversations, inspiration and ideas how to cope with every aspect of this disease. Please mind that english is not my mother tongue, but i'm trying to get better everyday. If something is unclear - please do not hesitate to ask me.

Mats

mats,
so sorry for your diagnosed. i'm glad you found us. there is alot of good information and support for you here. prayers and hugs to you.

Hi Mats. I too am so sorry you were diagnosed with ALS. It's a terrible diagnosis for anybody but you're so young. I hope you've been in touch with a local or close ALS Clinic and Society. They will offer you so much support in so many ways. Make sure to find somebody if you haven't already. Take care. Yasmin

Aloha Mats, Welcome to the family. So sorry about your Diagnosis, we are all here for you for support, help and lots of people with a weath of knowledge to share. Ask all the questions you what and you are also allowed to rant & rave and it is ok. Love & {{{HUGS)))

Hello and welcome to the Forum. I'm sorry we have to meet this way but we sure do welcome you here. Let any of us know if you have any questions. As for fear of falling, do you have Ankle Foot Orthosis for drop foot correction and a walker that is easily transportable? If not, I advise you to get them. It makes moving around so much safer and easier.
Hugs to you!

Hi Mats, so sorry about your diagnosis especially for such a young man. It must be very hard for you to stay positive but it sounds like you manage to look to the future and I am sure many people here will be more than happy to help you with all aspects of MND/ALS. Your English is great!

Thank you so much for your responses. I already feel that signing up here was the right decision. :)

Mats

Welcome to our forum family Mats! You know we're all gonna adopt you as our kid! I'm sorry for your diagnosis, especially at such a young age, but I truly feel that there will be a cure for this and that YOU are going to be one of them. Keep up your studies!

If you are afraid of falling, you really should look into an AFO or if its already worse, then get a wheelchair (or scooter)... mobility and getting out makes such a difference. Is there a local college that you can attend parttime? They may have discounted rates since you have this diagnosis, and then you'll be out in society, and not feeling so isolated.

And I agree, your english is great! And guess what, all of us native english speakers would probably not be able to understand each other for the differences in our accents. :)

Hi Mats sorry you have to be here, but glad you found the forum:)

Hallo, Mats! It's good to meet you, even though the circumstance is not ideal. I have learned so much here and everyone i s so kind.

Mats, I was thinking the same as Helen, you are going to be mothered something terrible.

Welome to our forum family Mats!

Hi Mats, you'll have many friends here. I'm sorry about your diagnosis.
Your English is great, we have people here from all over the world.

Welcome to a great site with lots of super people and good information and support! So sorry this monster found you!

Welcome Mats! I'm new here, but have quickly discovered how helpful and loving everyone here is - and you can ask anything without worrying about whether or not it might be a silly question!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back