Reason
Loved one DX
Country
SP
State
Tarragona
City
Reus
Hello everyone, my name is Alex. I am 22 years old and I'm a med student from Spain. Sorry for my english, it is not perfect.

I have read the notes but I still have some concerns. I hope not to offend anyone.

You see, my mother was diagnosed with ALS in August of 2015. Her symptoms started during the month of May of the same year. She started with speech problems and soon after ( August) was diagnosed with a bulbar onset (ALS) at the age of 41.

We have no history of ALS in our family, my mother is the first one that we know of.

She progressed really fast, and in Decembre of 2015 she was no longer able to eath and breathe on her own. She could move almost no muscle in her entire body.

My questions to you, and my fears are:

1.Can SALS, turn into FALS? Should I be worried?

2. I have been twitching for 3 years already, and I am okay with that, because I know it is common and as I have a lot of anxiety, it is probably even more common.

But what really worries me is that 3 days ago, while I was starting and examen, I felt some kind of difficulty writing, not that I couldn't write, but it was like some kind of elastic band was holding my muscle and I couldn't wirte as fluid as before, and I also started feeling this numbness located on my forearms that was like inside of my muscle, not on my skin. I got really scared then.

Today, 3 days later, I still have the weird numbness feeling. I also noticed that I can't play guitar as fluid as I did before, and even when I write on my phone I am more sloopy, or at least thats what I feel.

I don't know if all this is happening because I am over analyzing everything I am doing, or because of my anxiety. I haven't notice weakness, I think I can lift the same with both arms and do the same almost, but I do feel my right arm heavier, with the numbness being more accentuated in the forearm on my right side. Could this be serious, or is it all in my mind?

Thank you for reading everything, I am sorry if I made it too long of hurt anybodys feelings, I am just young and scared of this disease, as I saw my mothers progression and I am terrified of it.

Thank you a lot, Alex.

Hi. I am sorry about your mom

Your risk of ALS in your lifetime is just a smidge above that of the general population because your mom had it. Your risk at 22 is extremely extremely low.

Even if you were FALS it would not be affecting you now as your mom would not have had a young onset / juvenile form. But there is no evidence of FALS

What you describe is sensory so no it does not sound like ALS. It does sound like a possible overuse syndrome As a student I am sure you spend a lot of time on the computer and writing. It is worth getting checked out before it becomes more bothersome but don’t worry about ALS

Best of luck with your studies

Thank you for taking your time to answer my question. I will try to calm down and keep on with my studies, as you say the chances are very low. Thanks a lot! I wish you all the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back