Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
New Jersey
City
Keyport
Hello all. I've been scanning this forum for a while and finally joined. First off I just wanted to say God bless you all. You are all some the strongest most courages individuals i have come across in a long time. The main reason I joined was because my aunt was recently diagnosed with bulbar onset als. Like I said iv been on this forum for a while gathering information and educating myself as much as I can. Unfortunately I'm a bit of a hypochondriac and in the past month I've been worried about some symptoms iv been experiencing. I have read the stickies but I would like to get some honest opinions.

First off I'm a 28 year old man who is healthy as far as I know. I am a bit stressed since in the last 1 and a half years I got a new job, got married, bought a new house, and now my wife and I are expecting. All good things. I went to my doctor the end of October because of some pretty significant fatigue. He believed it the be stress related but we ran a bunch of blood work, a breathing test, and a sleep study just be be safe. All came back not only fine but above normal.

The symptoms iv been experiencing have been speech related which my doctor also believes to be a manifestation of strees.

So I seem to have a problem putting words and sentences together or just getting words out for that matter. I will completly butcher words often and find it happening more and more lately. I also feel like I've been slurring but my wife swears she doesn't here it. My mouth and tongue were tingling and burning for a while and still do everyonce in a while. It seems as if my tongue is just not working the way it should. Almost like my brain is not sending the right message to my tongue to make it move properly to pronounce words. I don't have any issues moving my tongue or my mouth at all. There is no weakness, atleast that I notice. In fact when I sing I can pronounce everything and speak fine but when I try and hold a conversation my words are jumbled and butcherd and slurred. Does this sound like the start of something I should be concerned about or more of a strees and anxiety issue.

Sorry if that was a bit long and thank you all for listening.

God bless

I think you should listen to your doctor. You have had multiple life altering events which cause large amounts of stress in the recent past. Address your stress and anxiety and I think you will feel better.

Here we go again, as you wrote,

("I am a bit stressed since in the last 1 and a half years I got a new job, got married, bought a new house, and now my wife and I are expecting. All good things. I went to my doctor the end of October because of some pretty significant fatigue. He believed it the be stress related but we ran a bunch of blood work, a breathing test, and a sleep study just be to be safe. **All came back not only fine but above normal.**

The symptoms I've been experiencing have been speech related which my doctor also believes to be a manifestation of stress.")

Those two paragraphs employed the word "STRESS" three times and the word "DOCTOR" twice. But... after you think about that for a minute read the first Thread by Dusty7 titled "New Members: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING!"

PS. Also as you wrote, ("In fact when I sing I can pronounce everything and speak fine...") when it comes to your concerns of ALS and with you being from Jersey... "Fo' getta 'bout it!"

Now, enjoy Christmas. Or.. the Holidays if you prefer.

My husband's bulbar onset started as very obvious slurring of words. His tongue was failing to work. It had nothing to do with processing words- in other words, nothing to do with brain function. Never any tingling or burning of the tongue. You don't sound anything like ALS. In my humble opinion, stress is your problem. On top of that, folks 30 and under have a one in one million chance of having ALS. Enjoy your young life and stop worrying about a disease that usually afflicts people much older.

Thank you all for you responses. I agree that it's most likely all stress. I'm just nervous because talking was always so involuntary to me and now I feel like I have to think about every word and every tongue movement before I even talk. I know Im completly over thinking it and seeing my aunt go through bulbar onset I guess was just added fuel to the fire. In fact it caused the fire because it didn't start until she was diagnosed and I fired up the old Google machine (I know I know). I will take your advise and address my stress and anxiety first.

Thank you all and God bless and happy holidays

Jersey,
In addition to stress and anxiety, what you describe can be simple fatigue. Sleep study notwithstanding, I would try to ensure that you are getting enough uninterrupted sleep in terms of room temp, distractions and what-not. "No screens 2h before bed..."

Have an awesome new year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back