Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
MA
City
Boston
For a few weeks I noticed tingling/pins and needles in my dominant left hand, and this feeling of coldness from the inside (not cold to the touch). I called my pcp and she set me up with a neuro on June 1. No clue whether I will get testing done that day.

over the past days or two both of my shoulders feel crazy heavy/tense. I don’t think it’s “weakness” in that I can’t do something I used to be able to do. When I searched bilateral arm weakness ALS was the first hit and I went down a black hole. The anxiety immediately consumed me, I can’t sleep, can’t get out of bed.

just as much as I’m asking about weird symptoms that you will prob say are not ALS, how do people manage the anxiety of the fear of als? I am consumed already. I feel like I will not make it to my neuro appt, it is so far away. I’m afraid my 18m old twins will not know me, my husband is 50 (I’m 40) is older and if I die the kids will have no parents. I’ve never had health anxiety like this before but I saw those googled words and I wanted to die. I feel depressed. I can’t get out of bed. How do people cope?
I am so sorry if this thread is not appropriate and will remove if needed. I’m just looking for some help. Thank you.

Hi there- please read this if you haven't already: Important - READ BEFORE POSTING! Answers to common concerns about possible symptoms Hopefully it will reassure you. As will your doctor's appointment in a week.

Sensory issues point away from ALS. Tingling, coldness, tension, etc, are not part of the constellation of symptoms that indicates ALS. Clinical weakness is not the same as feeling weak. A doctor can quickly assess weakness and will be able to tell you if they detect the type of weakness that is concerning.

With regards to asking the people here for help with anxiety surrounding ALS- this forum really exists to support those diagnosed with ALS and their caregivers. They deal with the anxiety of being diagnosed with a terminal disease however they can- talk therapy, meds and the support of fellow sufferers being some of them. This subforum is here to provide a small amount of information to those not diagnosed or who are searching, but is not meant for general health anxiety support. There are many forums that can help you, as can your doctor if the anxiety is interfering with your every day function.

All the best with your appointment in a week. There are so many things that can cause the issues you are concerned with, but as you will have read in the link provided, ALS is not really in the picture.

I did read it, thank you. I am just freaking out and bilateral arms weakness and als just terrified me. I desperately want to be wrong. I’m sorry I asked for anxiety advice, I just thought others posting here (many of whom appear to have similar anxiety) might have something to add. I have also posted in anxiety forums...sadly no response.

If you read that thoroughly you would know we do not allow that kind of discussion among the worried well here. This subforum is to ask questions about symptoms or the diagnostic process.
pins and needles. Cold feeling , heavy tense are not ALS symptoms nor are they indicators of clinical weakness. You said there is nothing you can not do. You admitted you are not weak now you claim you are. You are not describing weakness at all

get out of bed and go for a walk/ run. spend time with your kids. Your husband. You are so lucky

The #1 reason for what you describe is needing to replace your pillow and/or mattress, or tightness from lifting the twins.

That's pretty far from ALS.

Since you are likely not ill with any neurologic disorder, you can definitely cope, just as you would if someone else were ill. However, since you feel cold inside, I would take your temp daily and report it to your PCP if you have fever, given the pandemic.

Best,
Laurie

I'm sure your Neuro appointment will relieve you of any concerns of having ALS but...
your non ALS issues are curable and you'll live long for your twins.

IF you believe what the Neuro tells you

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back