Heavy anxiety for a year, then twitching and hyper reflexes all over for 2.5 years, now Dysarthria.

Status
Not open for further replies.

des

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
KY
City
Florence
I've been dealing with this two and a half years. I had bad anxiety previous and when the twitching started and the anxiety elevated and has stayed there.

Twitching - started all at once, and all over my body, with cramps, and they have not stopped. Twitches are constant but sometimes ease up so I can't feel them. Other times, when I get into a high anxiety situation, the twitches go crazy and cause slight movements in my body. Does ALS twitches change when anxiety flares?

Weakness - No clinical weakness. But I've had carpal tunnel in my right arm for years and it is weaker than my left.

Reflexes - I have brisk reflexes all over.

Dysarthria - I started having trouble articulating words 7 months ago. My neck muscles/tendons are constantly strained, you can see my tendons in my neck. I went to my neurologist 3 months ago and he's suspects ALS. No problems swallowing, but I do have Vocal cord dysfunction (twitching) which gets bad when I get under new anxiety.

Testing - I had an MRI on my neck (twice) and the anxiety amplified the twitching and made me move and the MRI was not clear. I do have neck disk degeneration, but they can't get a clear MRI to clarify how bad it is. I had an EMG 6 months into the twitching, up and down the right side of my body, and the upper arm showed denervation but others, nothing. I previously had several problems with severe neck pain going down my right arm about six years ago.

Can this all be from my anxiety or is it ALS?

If your neurologist really suspects als why have you not had another emg.

twitches worsening with anxiety is classic for anxiety as are brisk reflexes

what you are describing with your neck and all does not sounds like ALS in my experience.

if your neurologist “ suspects ALS” and is doing nothing to prove/ disprove this you need a new neurologist

Vocal cord dysfunction in ALS doesn't come and go according to your mood as you've described.

You can be sedated before an MRI to avoid movement.

I see no new reason to think of ALS, but many reasons to get more/better treatment for your anxiety. Then you will find it much easier to separate what's physical from what's not. Your mind is very powerful and can do way more to your body than most people think. But you have presented several possible explanations for your problems, and spine problems are as treatable today as they have ever been.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back