Reason
Loved one DX
Country
CA
State
ON
City
brampton
My father is in early stages and feels like he is hot all the time and can get relief...has anyone else heard of this at all

thanx Helen

Helen that has not been my experience nor have I seen any post regarding it. Glad you put it out there. I will be curious as to what feedback you get. jamiem

Not hot here, we keep our house on 74 most of the time I stay covered up with a light throw day and night

hi, my hubby was always warmer than me (and I'm fatter than him!), he'd be in a tee shirt, I'd need a cardi...
but the last few months, as it has progressed and he is weaker though still mobile, sometimes he is warmer but mostly now starting to feel the cold. Before his diagnosis, when he was researching symptoms, he came across a doctors article somewhere which said the dr had noted higher body temps in three of his patients who went on to be dia gnosed with als...may be something or nothing, he cant remember where he saw it now...

now he is getting stiffer in the muscles, he gets extremely cold feet, and the coldness creeps up his legs to just above his ankles...just wondering...is that normal for als/mnd?

My body temp does not seem elevated, - - but I now sweat profusely with very little exertion. Drats ! ! !

I get too hot or too cold. There's no in between. I attributed it to menopause though. I dunno.

I have a different problem, but it is affecting the brain stem as well. Heat regulation, and a bunch of other fuctions related to homeostasis run there signal right through the area of the brain that ALS affects: Yes I do know that ALS destroys anterior horn cells, but there are other areas in the CNS that take a big hit: hence the Upper Motor Signs.

In my case, I started to wake up every morning soaking wet with sweat. Thought maybe hot flashes at first. Then one night I just plain woke up in the middle of the night feeling like a dry roasted peanut. I threw the covers off, in the morning no sweat. Now I wake up at least once or twice to arrange the covers. It happens every night. When I sleep through, I'm soaked again.

I know someone else who has a different problem, his cholesterol went from normal into the thousands, wow!

my feet are either ice cold, usually reaching up to my knee on my left leg, or look red, and are hot and swollen...I take a med for vascular spasms. Make sure you keep moving those legs to prevent blood pooling and clots.

Temperature regulation can be a problem for some of us. the autonomic system takes a hit with ALS.
Too hot, sweating, then too cold. Bummer as it gets increasingly difficult to arrange the covers.
The feet and lower legs get chilly because of movement loss and lack of muscle tone in the lower extremities when they are affected. We lose the ability for effective venous return as the muscles decline.

Visitors to our house know to wear sweaters. I'm always so hot - and maintain our tempat 18C (approx. 64F). Thought it was menopause - but not so sure.

Thanks for the info on cold feet everyone, hubby does get like full body sweats too, and for no reason, he can get all clammy.
He always finds the bed too hot. Drives me right under the duvet to avoid bitey things that come in at night cos he has the windows wide open! And then he goes the other way, cranks up the heating and roasts me cos he's feeling cold!
Heaven help when menopause hits me :)

Have to admit I have had some temp issues but not to the extremes or probable reasons you describe....mine are more likely menopause for sure!
Except that I do have to say, when my muscles are cold.....there truly is no getting past it at all. They will simply cease up and stop working. Even if it isn't in the "affect" limb(s)When they get overly hot, they just are like limp biscuits!
Guess there doesn't seem to be a happy medium so far...but I am still in a learning curve and willing to watch out/learn from others.

My husband get to hot or to cold.we cover with a quilt and have a small fan within reach to.turn off or on as needed.we have it plugged into a surge protector so we just have to push that little red button. Its helped alot

My husband was always the one that was too cold - until ALS. He had the same problem. Hot all of the time. We finally bought an oscillating fan that he kept on 24/7. His feet, however, did get cold, so he kept socks on at all times, too.

hi, my hubby was always warmer than me (and I'm fatter than him!), he'd be in a tee shirt, I'd need a cardi...
but the last few months, as it has progressed and he is weaker though still mobile, sometimes he is warmer but mostly now starting to feel the cold. Before his diagnosis, when he was researching symptoms, he came across a doctors article somewhere which said the dr had noted higher body temps in three of his patients who went on to be dia gnosed with als...may be something or nothing, he cant remember where he saw it now...

now he is getting stiffer in the muscles, he gets extremely cold feet, and the coldness creeps up his legs to just above his ankles...just wondering...is that normal for als/mnd?

My caregiver is here five days a week every day she massages my hands, arms, feet, and legs. On Monday after two days of no massages my hands are stiff and she works them until they open and close again my fingers are also straight and not curled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back