Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Niagara Falls
Hello to you folks here on the ALS forums,

The reason I'm here is two fold. One;

a) I have an interest in learning more about ALS and how it works, what it does, etc. Genuine curiosity.

b) I suffer from crippling health anxiety(hypochondria) which makes life a living hell sometimes. :(

So, my story's simple; it started a few days ago(Saturday, I think). I noticed that my index finger was spasming/twitching(moving on it's own without me stimulating it). It only lasted for roughly 10-15 seconds and then it went away, and I thought nothing else of it. But then, later on, I decided to take a trip to Dr. Google and of course - googling "muscle twitch", one of the top 3 results is ALS(damn you, Dr Google).

Then, thanks to my (probable) anxiety, it went into high gear; my hand was numb, sore, my knuckles are still kinda sore with a shooting pain up my arm, and now my right leg(the same side as my sore arm) is sore too - my left side is sore, but only sporadically. Feels weird to walk - my knee FEELS weak, but my body's showing no sign of weakness at all.

Now, the crazy-health phobic side kicked in and caused me to FREAK out the last few days about ALS - even though, I will say, 90% of my brain knows I don't have ALS - the manic 10% doesn't know.

I've read the stickies and gone over them a few times. I do apologize for taking up bandwidth space on your server, but even without my manic episode, I would have found my way here - I love reading about health and diseases and such ever since my mother's stroke.

Anyway, I just thought I should post this and get it out of the way.

For all of you WITH ALS, I'll pray for you - it's the least I can do.

Much love,

Kamrian

Well not sure where my post has gone. I guess its dust in the wind....

Dear Kamrian,

First mistake: don't go to Dr. Go og le - he's a quack!
Second mistake: is it really an interest in learning about ALS or you think you have it?
Third mistake: you're 10% manic side has now taken over

I am not a dr. But if you think you have something wrong, go to the dr and get a diagnosis started. If it looks like any of the ones covered here then, by all means come back and ask. I'm sorry, I am usually am not rude but this has been a shi++y week.

Good Luck

Went to moderation. Will show up soon.

You're obsession with health diseases is very unhealthy! If you were a Dr. or researcher that would be different. You obviously do not have ALS...you appear to know that searching the web to diagnose yourself is not smart yet you do it anyway.

My advice is learn to control that self described "10% manic" portion of your brain, treat your anxiety and recognize that you are a hypochondriac and do something about it.

I read once that one method to control irrational fears is instead of trying to convince yourself that you don't have these diseases (or whatever other irrational fear someone may have) that come into your mind, run with it, tell yourself that you have all of them. Often then your mind will process the fact that the notion that you have ALS, Cancer, HIV, Stroke etc etc all at the same time is ridiculous.

Good luck to you.

Last edited:
Thanks folks - for all the comments. My Dr does know about my health anxiety and sometimes it is overwhelming.

Also, I do have a legitimate interest in learning about MN diseases like ALS - kind of an irony, someone who enjoys learning about medicine obsesses about being ill all the time...kind of a cruel joke.

Kamrian,

May I suggest purchasing the "House" box set to get your kicks?

Let me tell you about health anxiety:

Less than a year ago, I had never heard of ALS.

Now, not only is every waking minute consumed with ALS, so are my dreams.
I dream that when I wake up, something on my body will work less than it did the night before.
I get so frustrated with not being able to get my words out sometimes, that I get angry with the ones I love.

Every street sign or billboard with the letters A, L or S remind me of this disease.
Every time I see someone in a wheelchair, I think when will I get there.
I see grandparents with their grand kids and ask myself, I'm I going to have that?

I look at my 8 year old daughter and cry because I don't think I'll be around to walk her down the isle at her wedding.
I look at my 16 year old son, and think, am I going to be able to share a beer with him at a ball game when he's of age?
I look at my wife, and realize what a burden I will be to her.

My friend,
That is not only health anxiety, it's a reality.

Please don't worry yourself until something becomes a reality for you.

Cheers,
Casey

Kamrian,

I dream that when I wake up, something on my body will work less than it did the night before.
I get so frustrated with not being able to get my words out sometimes, that I get angry with the ones I love.

Every street sign or billboard with the letters A, L or S remind me of this disease.
I see grandparents with their grand kids and ask myself, I'm I going to have that?

I look at my 8 year old daughter and cry because I don't think I'll be around to walk her down the isle at her wedding.
I look at my 16 year old son, and think, am I going to be able to share a beer with him at a ball game when he's of age?

My friend,

Cheers,
Casey

All these posts make me cry. :( I really do feel like an idiot for coming here because I'm a paranoid guy who's mind runs at 2 miles a second when most of you are living with this disease.

Really, I partially blame the way the internet is set up - doing a quick google search for "muscle twitching", "twitch muscle", "muscle pain", etc leads to you some website talking about ALS within the first two pages, so it freaks a lot of people out(such as myself) without cause.

Really, I partially blame the way the internet is set up - doing a quick google search for "muscle twitching", "twitch muscle", "muscle pain", etc leads to you some website talking about ALS within the first two pages, so it freaks a lot of people out(such as myself) without cause.

It's not the way that the I n t e r n e t is set up that's the problem. It's you that's the problem. You typed the search terms into the browser. You clicked the links to navigate to this website. You registered the user account here. You made the first post in this thread.

You are responsible for how you feel now because you don't have enough common sense to stay away from online things that make you feel bad. So, wallow in the bad feelings and get all that you can from them.

I am sorry for being tough on you but do not blame the web. If you want to get your anxiety under control then you need to hold yourself accountable. You have already said that the rational part of you knows you do not have ALS yet you are searching about it. Remember you and you alone are 100% accountable for your actions. It is a standard that we have stopped holding people in society accountable to.

Honestly you say that you have legitimate interest in diseases but in my unprofessional opinion you are just feeding the beast. (your anxiety and hypochondria)

Last edited:
Sorry, when I said the 'net, I mean from my perspective. I know it's my fault for being overly paranoid.

And I don't "wallow" in these feelings - I try to live my life the best I can.

And I don't "wallow" in these feelings - I try to live my life the best I can.

Yes, you do. You keep reading replies and answering them. Saying more silly things and walking back the previous silly things you've said. How many other health-related bulletin boards are you doing the same thing on this week, with other mysterious symptoms?

Yes, you do. You keep reading replies and answering them. Saying more silly things and walking back the previous silly things you've said. How many other health-related bulletin boards are you doing the same thing on this week, with other mysterious symptoms?

Actually, none? :S

You shouldn't be here scaring yourself. That really IS unhealthy and I think you should see a professional counselor for that.

You're obsession with health diseases is very unhealthy! If you were a Dr. or researcher that would be different. You obviously do not have ALS...you appear to know that searching the web to diagnose yourself is not smart yet you do it anyway.

My advice is learn to control that self described "10% manic" portion of your brain, treat your anxiety and recognize that you are a hypochondriac and do something about it.

I read once that one method to control irrational fears is instead of trying to convince yourself that you don't have these diseases (or whatever other irrational fear someone may have) that come into your mind, run with it, tell yourself that you have all of them. Often then your mind will process the fact that the notion that you have ALS, Cancer, HIV, Stroke etc etc all at the same time is ridiculous.

Good luck to you.
BAM, don't worry to you have too. I love the honesty of this site.BAM

Kamrian,

My friend,

Cheers,
Casey
WOW Casey, some of us don't even think about some of the thought s my PALS have. This will be with me the rest of my life, Thanks man. Make me realize alot.
Edgar's thought stuck with me too. He has BulBar and went into a bar and ordered his first beer of the day, the bartender cut him off because of his speech. I also never even knew what ALS was eighter until my dad. It blew my mind, and still does.:)You Rock:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back