Diagnosis
08/2014
Country
US
State
Washington
City
Bellingham
(I have to say at the start of this here that my heart goes out to EVERYONE at this forum and am praying for you all - and me - everyday. And I have seen big prayers answered !)

I was at the local VA hospital for the usual 3-month checkup clinic (I think these clinics help the staff in their research more than they help us) as I currently have been diagnosed with "flailing arm" ALS. (I'm still going to talk to doctors at a private hospital on the 20th about an ivig which is supposedly still on the table there)
Anyway, while there I applied for veterans disability benefits which, if you have ALS, is considered 100% - and well in the 4 figures for a monthly stipend - tax-free. The funny thing is that even if you got ALS 40 yrs after your discharge it is still considered service-related which ups the amount you receive. This is because they have found servicemen have up to a 60% higher chance of getting ALS so they are connecting the contacting of the disease to the event of actually being in the service.

I meant to add to my initial posting above that veterans will receive this considerable sum each month so please don't hesitate to apply for your well deserved benefits! And its only supposed to take 2 months or less to start the process.

Yep. Have to admit the VA is doing well taking care of ALS vets. Is your clinic in Burlington or all the way into Seattle? Just curious.

As you progress, be sure to apply for the appropriate Special Monthly Compensation level. As you lose the use of one limb, then two, then four, you'll find you can be compensated more highly each time. Being housebound and requiring Aid and Attendance also counts toward increased compensation.

And use the PVA!

Atsugi: Hi! -- Thanks for the tip. I had to go to the Seattle VA hospital for this clinic. The Mt. Vernon clinic only offers examinations, counseling and shots.

Also, surviving spouses can receive a benefit as well. My Dad served during the Korean War, received his ALS diagnosis in January of 2012, and began receiving his monthly benefits in March. Since he passed, my Mom now receives a monthly survivor's benefit (about a third of what my Dad received).

Other benefits for dependents:
- ChampVA medical
- Dependents Educational Benefits, Chapt.35

Sandy Annuity Calculation Asssumptions:
Inflation 1.9% per year
Growth 8% per year Ann/Ren. Financial
Tax 22% per year annuity income

VA survivor's benefit ~$1,700 in 2015, if I last thru 2016 ~$2,000 w/ 1.5% annual cola

still haven't figured out SSA ... but my EOL doc has Sandy covered well past 2046.

2016-2050 annual inflation for her:

Annual
Inflation
$1,067
$1,087
$1,108
$1,129
$1,150
$1,172
$1,195
$1,217
$1,240
$1,264
$1,288
$1,312
$1,337
$1,363
$1,389
$1,415
$1,442
$1,469
$1,497
$1,526
$1,555
$1,584
$1,614
$1,645
$1,676
$1,708
$1,741
$1,774
$1,807
$1,842
$1,877
$1,912
$1,949
$1,986
$2,023

Thanks for the great info. You guys are so knowledgeable and helpful.

There are so many other benefits for veterans but another one that stood out in my memory (All this information was thrown at me at one time) was the $15,000 yearly Visiting Angels allowance.

Eh? Rings no bells ...?

You know, I might have misspoke about the Visiting Angels benefits - I just called a VA rep that I spoke to at the hospital the other day and even he wasn't aware of this benefit.
He said the guy who told me this who was on the VA clinic staff could have been a social worker who offers things that the VA doesn't. I had no idea this guy didn't represent the VA since he was speaking to me in the hospital during a VA clinic. Like I said they threw all this information at me all at once! I'll see if I can somehow get the straight scoop on this.

>I'll see if I can somehow get the straight scoop on this.

let us know what your pva rep says!

Not only do they provide the monthly stipend, but all my husband's food is provided! Since he can't swallow regular food, he lives on Boost Plus, which the VA sends, just like any other prescription. All you have to do is ask if swallowing is an issue. When we see the bad PR the Va has been given recently, we are amazed. We have had nothing but support and positive experiences with them. They certainly take care of their own with ALS.

What is the pva rep? I did speak to an ALS Nurse Care Coordinator who attempted to connect me via phone to the so-called social worker but the connection never went through and she had already hung up. And of course, she didn't answer when I called her back. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back