Bass

Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
01/2015
Country
CA
Hello everyone.

Right now I am using Tobii with Windows control on my desktop computer.
It's not accurate but it does the job well enough.
I am in the market for another pointing device for my laptop. It would be great if I can use it on my android phone too.

I was reading the forum and Jimi mentioned that head tracking is much more accurate than eye gaze.
Right now I don't have a problem yet with moving my head slightly.
Aside from tracker Pro head tracking, what other devices like it are available on the market? I live in Canada and I want find the most cost effective head tracker [tracker Pro 2 is 1300 Canadian dollars!]

Also, please keep in mind that I cannot use any external switches for clicking. The head tracker should support software lets you click by dwelling.
If there is windows software that lets you click by puffing or opening your mouth, that would be great.

Thanks for your help. :)

The simplest thing to try is to use the built-in webcam with eViacam or Camera Mouse (both free). Depending on how things work out, you might find the SmartNav head mouse another option. There are other options in between. Check sites like RJ Cooper and AbleNet. Be careful -- there are sharks in the AT space, for sure. There may be a "try first" bureau where you live.

For Android, check out Jabberwocky and dwell click utilities (which are also available for Windows).

Eva facial mouse pro for Android is also extremely good. I've been using it for my phone instead of jabberwocky because my jaw muscles are weak. Eviacam for windows is excellent also

hello guys.
I tried Eviacam and it's about 70% accurate [for me] versus camera mouse which is 30% accurate.
is there something I can add to make it more accurate?

Although I found SmartNav on RJ cooper for sale, I read that it was discontinued . And some people are complaining of the drivers not working.
It is the true? And what's my alternative?
also SmartNav needs its own dwell software, nor can I use Eviacam

Thank you

I've used eviacam with my surface pros built in webcam and with an external Logitech webcam. The Logitech might have been a little better in low light but both work well.
I never used the setup assist for any of the programs. I set all the speed, accel and everything myself. You will be amazed at the feel you get once you practice and mess with the settings. I can type the fastest using Eva facial mouse pro on my galaxy s22+ android phone. It's the best to use and requires the least effort to move. My phone is on 24/7. I have my surface pro and phone on at all times so I can always communicate if one has a problem .
The head trackers that use ir and a dot on your glasses or head don't really work better because you can't adjust the acceleration curve and they end up requiring more head travel. They do allow use in the pitch dark because they use ir .
For sleeping, I have RGB smart bulbs and one very dimmly lit bulb in red is enough for my phone to head track.
If there is anything I can do to help let me know. I've been using head tracking for four years . I have my surface and phone mounted on a small cart. Everything can be easily pivoted out of the way.. it's off to the side a little so I can view my tv. Took some used stuff on eBay and various odds and ends like u-bolts and some aluminum polls. None of it is difficult. I had to keep it simple so my wife can do it without any major fabrication . Ventilator, suction, computer and phone all on one small cart. Apartment living.

My phone with Eva facial mouse pro is the most used tool I have. It requires the least effort to use. Controls my recliner, tv, stereo, fans, heater, lights, intercomm, cameras. It's also the main way I can communicate.

On my surface pro I am currently using the head mouse nano by Origin instruments. And dwell clicker 2 for the dwell software. No drivers required. It's reliable and works in the dark. It requires more head moving than eviacam.
I installed rawaccel from GitHub to allow me to adjust the acceleration curve of the head mouse nano. This helped. But the head mouse nano is like $1k. It's a high quality item but I would not buy it again when eviacam is free and better except for complete dark use

I never cared for Samsung phones before because of their bloated software. Over the past few years I have come to appreciate them. They have a lot of ways customize and make things easier. Especially for using with head tracking. Between that and with Google action blocks and the Google home app for all my home automation, it is a pretty effective system

thanks Jimi. You're always very hopeful. I will try to tweak eviacam settings to try to make it more accurate. I will take your advice and skip an expensive head mouse. Thanks again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back