Diagnosis
11/2018
Country
US
State
WA
City
Renton
My stepdaughter is having trouble keeping her head from falling to the side when she sleeps, partially uptight in a hospital bed, causing neck pain. Pillows and side towels no help. I rolled a big towel around the top of her head and tucked behind her shoulders. This worked, but is very warm. Any suggestions?

We used a couple of ComfortBag microwaveable heating pads (the rectangular ones) on either side of the neck, on the pillow. Since they are filled with dense material (choice of scents or unscented), they don't have to be right against the skin, which is what makes towels warm. Plus, you can also use them as heating pads at other times.

Welcome, and feel free to introduce yourself in more detail.

Best,
Laurie

Thanks Laurie. I'm new to using this forum. My stepdaughter was diagnosed with Bulbar ALS in Nov 2018, and was using a feeding tube by June of this yeart, trach and vent by July, and eye gaze technology only for communication by early October. She is completely immobile. She is 52, single, twin 15 year old boys. We are keeping her in her ("new", WC adaptable) home as long as possible. She lives 30-40 minutes away, and I'm her care manager. We wanted her to move closer, she wanted to keep her boys in their high school. We have 24/7 CNAs, trying to transition to nurses as Medicaid will cover some of it. It's exhausting. I have finally reached the point of sometimes overwhelming fatigue, guilt, and challenges that I decided to seek help here. There are almost too many issues to bring up at once. Thanks for responding!

I'm sorry about your stepdaughter. That sounds like fast progression, and very difficult for the family. There is no CALS here who does not feel fatigue and guilt, which does not minimize yours at all -- just know that you are not alone.

Feel free to bring up your issues any time, in any order.

I am latching on my wife's account. I had this problem of "my head falling off". It was solved with a small wedge pillow and a pillowcase. The pointed end of pillow is put in the back of the case and the tall part of pillow is a "wall" with the case having a 2' ~ 3' tail. My head is put on tail with my head against (or near) the wall and the extra tail is tucked under shoulder. I keep a little gap between the wall and my ear.

BTW for me the pain went away after about a month. And with only one pillow it is 50/50 chance. Last night my head fell the other way!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back